[Ohio-talk] FW: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 03/20/2017

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 20:14:29 UTC 2017

From: President, National Federation of the Blind [mailto:OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 3:32 PM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 03/20/2017

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Some note the coming of spring by the increased level of activity and the blooming of life around us. I find that because of my work in the National Federation of the Blind it has not felt like we have been through a low period of activity. However, it is nice to have spring here and it reminds me that our national convention is right around the corner.

Before we get to Orlando, there are some immediate concerns that should take our attention. Our Washington Seminar issues will be heating up at an increasing rate, so be on the watch for alerts about activity on those items. As you will see, there are real attacks being made on the Americans with Disabilities Act, and these require the concentration of the Federation. Other disability organizations often look to us as the leader for mobilizing people; now is one of those times. I call your attention to the first critical action this week as a top priority for all of our affiliates.

I look forward to visiting with most of you this evening on the Uber monitoring call we have scheduled.

Critical Actions This Week:

Call to Action: Opposition to H.R. 620, the ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017:
As you know, we ask members from time to time to contact their representatives in Congress in support of legislation that would benefit the blind community. But today I am calling upon all Federationists to contact their representatives in opposition to H.R. 620. The phone number for the Capitol switchboard is (202) 224-3121. From there, simply ask to be connected with your representative. In addition, please call the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, Robert Goodlatte, at (202) 225-5431.

Here are some brief talking points to share with the offices of your representative and Chairman Goodlatte: (1) the ADA was enacted in 1990, so covered entities have had ample time to learn about and comply with the law; (2) the ADA already contains an “undue burden” provision to protect covered entities when the costs of making facilities accessible are too high; and (3) Title III of the ADA (which applies to public accommodations) does not allow monetary damages for noncompliance.

The National Federation of the Blind has joined with 216 other allied civil rights organizations in opposing this bill. You can read our joint letter at https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/sign-on-letters/comments_on_hr620_03162017.pdf. If you want to know how this bill would affect us, consider internet access guaranteed under the ADA and our comments filed with DOJ last October <https://nfb.org/ada-title-ii-internet-regulations-joint-sanprm-comments>  as just one example.

News:

National Federation of the Blind Comments on Department of Justice Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Section 504:
Last Thursday, the National Federation of the Blind filed comments regarding the recent Notice of Proposed Rulemaking issued by the Department of Justice on updates to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.  You can read our comments at https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/sign-on-letters/nfb_comments_re_504_regs.pdf.

LGBT Group:
We have recently formed the National Federation of the Blind LGBT Group. Tai Tomasi is the chairperson. She can be reached at tai.tomasi8 at gmail.com <mailto:tai.tomasi8 at gmail.com>  or (515) 329-4908.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	March 23, 2017: eBooks and EPUB accessibility event <https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6317&qid=1522699>
*	March 30-31, 2017: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium <http://nfb.org/law-symposium>
*	March 31, 2017: Deadline for scholarship applications <http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>
*	April 15, 2017: Deadline for Jacob Bolotin Award applications <https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main>
*	May 1, 2017: Deadline for Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/distinguished-educator-of-blind-students-award-form-fillable.pdf>
*	June 4, 2017: 6K Dot Dash <https://nfb.org/dot-dash>
*	July 10-15, 2017: National Convention, Rosen Shingle Creek Resort, Orlando, Florida <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm16/bm1611/bm161101.htm>
*	July 23-29, 2017: Youth Slam <http://www.blindscience.org/nfb-youth-slam> , Towson University
*	September 12-17, 2017: BLAST <http://blindmerchants.org/blast-2017/> , Nashville, Tennessee

Mark A. Riccobono

President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>