[Ohio-talk] SSI Amount for 2018

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 19:18:45 UTC 2017

COLA - how refreshing!  Especially when it means more money in your pocket!

Social Security announced the following COLA changes in a document that
didn't seem JAWS accessible, so I copied out the following for you.  For
those of you who don't know what I am talking about, it is the Cost Of
Living Adjustment that Social Security does most years.  Starting January 1,
2018, your benefits will go up 2%.

*	To figure out how much it will increase your SSDI, multiply your
existing amount by 102%, or by 1.02 if you don't like to do percentages.
*	SSI will be $750 per month for an individual and $1,125 for a
couple.  That's the basic amount, not counting any state supplement.
*	Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) will go up to $1,970 a month.
That's the amount you have to stay under if you want to keep your SSDI
benefits.
*	The Trial Work Period (TWP) amount will go up to $850 a month. If
you are on SSDI and make more than that in a given month, you will lose one
month of your nine month TWP.
*	The Student Earned Income Exclusion, which allows students under the
age of 22 to work without losing any of their SSDI, goes up to $1,820 a
month or $7,350 a year.  (I bet most people don't know about that program.)