[Ohio-talk] Great Convention

Carol Akers purplecakers at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 00:43:40 UTC 2017

Thank you Barbara S for sharing this tidbit of info. I found it interesting, as I did not know the origin of PAC.  Nice pic.Carol A

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Barbara Shaidnagle via Ohio-Talk<ohio-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:   I certainly had a lot to chew on and think about the entire weekend and I
talked about it during the meeting where there were no chapter presidents,
me, Barbara Pierce, Prez Payne, national rep Shawn Calloway and a few
others.  But Prez Payne pointed out, no chapter presidents came and he was
curious about that.  This was the coming together meeting from 3:45 to
5pm.

But probably the thing that gave me the most pause was at the very end of
session today.  I thought the financial report would appropriately lead
into a discussion about PAC, and people would be encouraged to increase or
sign up. This did not happen.  Not one mention was made of PAC.  Zip.
Nada.  No one had PAC cards.  I wonder if Shawn will mention that to
President Riccobono.  I wonder if Ohio will continue to lag behind (thank
God I am not from there, people say) Alabama.

 I will tell you now that if we had done PAC business I would have given
the Barbara Pierce fudge to the first person to increase their PAC.  As it
is, I will call the National Office tomorrow and ask for extension 2214 and
give them my new Ohio banking info as there are no
Wells Fargo banks in Ohio.  I will also increase, as in double, my PAC
contribution.

E.U. Parker devised the PAC plan.  He was a State Farm Insurance agent from
Laurel, Mississippi, and he was a personal friend of Joe and myself.  The
man tried very hard one Saturday to teach me to dive but there is something
about going into the water face first I apparently just feared so that
never happened.  There was a time Mrs. Parker went off shopping and it fell
to me to make Joe and Parker drinks, so I did, and used regular drinking
glasses and made them substantial enough to keep them very happy for
several hours.

So I am serious when I say that Parker and Dr. Jernigan developed the PAC
plan they did it because they knew that people out there wanted to give
money to the NFB on an ongoing basis, not a just convention; they wanted to
give it monthly like a tithe to the church.  Parker knew at the time Joe
and I could not afford even the minimum of $5 a month but never said
anything; we have given money to PAC now for years.

Those who go to National Convention know attendees get beat up every day
about PAC from Scott LaBarre or whoever happens to be the current PAC
chairperson.  So to not talk about it at State Convention, I decided, is
not too astonishing.  People had too much fun bidding for Barbara Pierce
fudge and knitting promises and gift baskets and stuff; to be beat on at
the end of session about PAC when personal funds might be low just would
not be the most reasonable thing to do.  Personally, I just wish some
mention had been made of it somehow.

I gave the Barbara Pierce fudge to the neighbor who collected my papers and
mail for the weekend, and I took a couple of pieces.  Deeeelicious.

For those who can see, I attach a picture of E.U. Parker and his wife Gene
taken at convention several years ago.

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Colleen Roth via Ohio-Talk <

--

http://www.amazon.com/Wisp-Barbara-Shaidnagle/dp/1511630515/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Trashy-White-Girls-Barbara-Shaidnagle/dp/1512159948/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

DeColores