[Ohio-talk] What A Memory

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 23:27:19 UTC 2018

Thank you JW and Barbara.

50 years ago today was the first time I saw my Daddy cry. just like
Barbara, he was  sobbing. Like J.W., the neighbors were wailing and
sobbing too.   I was 11 years old and my entire world changed in that
moment.  I knew about the "Dream and the Dreamer." So, I cried too.
As the grandaughter of a Black Baptist minister, the name of Rev. Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr. was a household name in our house. My
Grandparents had met him and Coretta Scott King on several occasions
and were extremely proud of the relationship.
1968 was such a pivotal year in my life, beginning with the death of
MLK. It was the year that I realized what it ment to be Black in
America. This knowledge was associated with a lot of fear  at first
but, my parents and others helped me to learn how to be proud of being
Black.

Around 1990, I had the honor and pleasure of meeting Mrs. King at John
Carol University. She was a gracious lady and I am forever grateful
for the experience.
I agree with you  both, viewing the country today can look bleak.
Viewing us as individuals looks much better.
Perhaps, this gap will close someday.
We have to continue in the path, with faith, hope and love. CF

--
Wishing You All the Best,

Cheryl E. Fields

A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human
life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will
never sit.
--D. Elton Trueblood