[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 19:42:23 UTC 2018

Buckeye Update

February 5th, 2018

characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day we raise the
between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Dear Members of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio,

Several of us recently joined the Washington seminar, and it was well
attended.  The issues this year were very solid, and our delegation
represented us very well.  Before the Washington seminar kicked off; I had
the pleasure of attending the Presidents Retreat at the Jernigan Institute
in Baltimore Marilyn.  The Federation has developed a "code of conduct
policy: which will be implemented soon.  The officers will have to agree to
this "code of conduct.  However, we covered several topics and the retreat
was informative and uplifting.

While attending the Washington Seminar, several of us took pictures with
members of congress.  I was quite pleased, to see that our Reps. Were very
receptive of our legislative issues. Ohio done a great job!

You should be aware by this time that one of our bell students became ill
and passed away, due to complications from the Flue.  Today I issued a
voucher in memory of Aiden Carter on behalf of the BELL Program, and the
Ohio affiliate to the Ohio School for the Blind.  Several people who worked
with Aiden understood how special he was.  Although, we are still in
morning, this donation will not heal the loss, but I hope it can provide
some comfort.  You can also send a check to Sherry Ruth to help with the
donation.

Barbra tells me that she wishes to have material submitted for the
newsletter before the February 15th dead line.  You should get her the items
that you wish to have included.

The Ohio Affiliate Legislative    Committee will be working on several
issues in the state over the next few months.  You should contact Sherri, if
you have any items that you wish to be considered.  We   will once again
visit the Columbus seminar on April 10, 2018.  I encourage chapters to start
planning to be present.   I have also asked the chapter Presidents to
include this on their upcoming agendas.  I am excited about NFB of Ohio
working together to make a significant impact on issues in Ohio.

As you should already know, we again will take part in the Flying Pig Event.
Sherri and Luke will be sending information to our listserve.  So, please
buy your tickets online and if you can take part in our respective booth in
May 2018, then please do just that!  You also should contact Sherri and
request paper tickets.  This fundraiser has made the Affiliate good money;
but if we would promote and encourage others to do this it would provide
even a greater income.

Rachel reports that The Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL)
will be the week of June 24, 2018, with volunteers reporting on Saturday,
June 23rd, 2018.  She will send out more information as it becomes
available.

We are moving along with our Braille Literacy classes.  This project has
been very uplifting and getting the word out about our commitment to Braille
literacy has been quite positive.

I would like to let you know that I am very interested in knowing about each
new member that we gain this year.  We will make every effort to figure out
how we can stimulate strong recruiting of new members.  We all should be
working very hard to bring in people.

Please keep in mind that we have a Generosity campaign on going; which is
the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio ongoing campaign to support
efforts with our Washington and Columbus seminars.
 I regret that to date, we only have raised $195 USD, by 6 people in 1
month; with a 4% goal of $5,000.  Please share the link below.
Donate Now
<https://www.generosity.com/projects/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-ohi
o/payments/new>
Share on Facebook 70

This year's state convention will be held November 2nd, 3rd and 4th at the
Holiday Inn Cleveland-Strongsville Hotel, located at 15471 Royalton Road,
Strongsville, Ohio 44136.  The room rates are$ 82.00 per night with free
breakfast.  Also, shuttle service from the bus station to the Holiday Inn
will be provided.  This hotel is cozier which will fit in with the plans for
our 2018 convention.

	The January Braille Monitor is now available:
	I'd like to call to your attention that our national president
wrote an article for the January Braille Monitor, "Ending Accreditation
without Authenticity: A Call to Action for the Fourth Generation of the
Federation.
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm18/bm1801/bm180102.htm> "  I
encourage our members to read the article and take action via email and
social media, to urge AER to end NAC.  You can read the entire Braille
Monitor online
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm18/bm1801/bm1801tc.htm> .

	The 2018 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will
take
place in Orlando, Florida, July 3 to July 8, at the Rosen Shingle Creek
Resort, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357.  Make your
room reservation as soon as possible with the Shingle Creek staff only.
Call (866) 996-6338.
      The 2018 room rates are singles and doubles, $88; and for triples and
quads $93.  In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at
present is 12.5 percent.  No charge will be made for children under
seventeen in the room with parents if no extra bed is requested.
The hotel is accepting reservations now.  A $100-per-room deposit is
required to make a reservation.  Fifty percent of the deposit will be
refunded if notice is given to the hotel of a reservation cancellation
before June 1, 2018.  The other 50 percent is not refundable.
      Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Reservations may be made before June 1, 2018, assuming that rooms are still
available.  After that time the hotel will not hold our room block for the
convention.  In other words, you should get your reservation in soon.  All
Rosen Shingle Creek guestrooms feature amenities that include
plush Shingle Creek Sleeper beds, 40" flat screen TVs, complimentary high-
speed internet service, in-room safes, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and
hair dryers.  Guests can also enjoy a swimming pool, fitness center, and on-
site spa.  The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort has many dining options,
including two award-winning restaurants, and twenty-four-hour-a-day room
service.
The schedule for the 2018 convention is:
Tuesday, July 3              Seminar Day
Wednesday, July 4      Registration and Resolutions Day
Thursday, July 5 Board Meeting and Division Day
Friday, July 6         Opening Session
Saturday, July 7 Business Session
Sunday, July 8         Banquet Day and Adjournment

While I could write more   I know that several meetings are in the making
with so much to share.  Let's keep building the federation and always
advocate for the rights of all blind people!

Richard Payne,  President
937-396-5573or 937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com
blindness is not what holds you back