[Ohio-talk] FW: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 01/15/2018

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 23:11:51 UTC 2018

From: President, National Federation of the Blind [mailto:OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 2:58 PM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 01/15/2018

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Two weeks from today we will be together at the Holiday Inn Capitol in Washington, DC. Our annual Great Gathering-In meeting is an important time to remind those in the halls of power that we are the authentic voice of blind people, that we know more about blindness than they do, and that they cannot make policies about us without us.

On the topic of authenticity, I call your attention to my article in the January Braille Monitor regarding the attempt to revive the National Accreditation Council. If you have not yet read “Ending Accreditation without Authenticity: A Call to Action for the Fourth Generation of the Federation <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm18/bm1801/bm180102.htm> ,” please make this a priority today. It is important that we make sure our members are up to speed about what is happening, and that we mobilize feedback to AER regarding our lack of support for a system that is built without us. This is a good opportunity to talk about our history and our future with members, and invite them to engage in raising their voice.

If any of you would like to meet with me one-on-one while you are in Baltimore or Washington, please send me an email so I can make sure to make time for our affiliate presidents. I am planning to be in DC Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday evenings—this is not always the case—so I should be able to get in all the meetings we need.

Critical Actions This Week:

Washington Seminar Fact Sheets Available:
The legislative agenda and fact sheets for the issues at Washington Seminar are attached to this message. The overall agenda is also attached. All the documents are also available in different formats on the Washington Seminar webpage at https://nfb.org/washington-seminar.

News:

Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium:

Registration is now open for the 2018 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium, "Fifty Years After tenBroek: The Right to Live in the World Today and Tomorrow." The symposium will take place March 22–23, and will examine Dr. tenBroek’s impressive legacy through a present-day lens, focusing on many of the timeless themes addressed in his publications and speeches during his lifetime. Topics that will be addressed include discrimination against students with disabilities, law enforcement and disability, and disparities in healthcare for people with disabilities. For additional information and to register online, please visit the symposium webpage at https://nfb.org/law-symposium. Questions about the symposium should be directed to Lou Ann Blake at lblake at nfb.org <mailto:lblake at nfb.org>  or (410) 659-9314, extension 2221, or Stacie Dubnow at sdubnow at nfb.org <mailto:sdubnow at nfb.org>  or (410) 659-9314, extension 2442.

PrestoPrime EMV System Accessibility Collaboration:
We are taking part in a collaboration with LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired of San Francisco; E la Carte, Inc., creator of the PrestoPrime™ EMV System™ for full-service restaurants; and Applebee’s® Neighborhood Grill + Bar to produce text-to-speech capability for the PrestoPrime EMV System that will be incorporated into all current and future Presto tablets, including those in Applebee’s restaurants.

Nepal’s Ban on Blind Everest Climbers:
The government of Nepal recently announced a ban on blind people attempting to climb Mt. Everest. We, in concert with the WBU, spoke out against the ban, including a letter to the US ambassador to Nepal, Alaina Teplitz. She replied with her appreciation of our work and her assurance that she will continue to advocate for the equal rights and inclusion of persons with disabilities, both in the climbing world and society at large.

Winners of 2017 Onkyo Braille Essay Contest:
The seven winners from the North America/Caribbean Region: Otsuki Prize: Jessie Mabry, Connecticut; Excellent Work Award, Senior: Tammy Frost, Minnesota; Fine Work Award, Senior: Jennifer Spears, Colorado & Jamie Lloyd, St. Catherine, Jamaica; Excellent Work Award, Junior: Kristen Steele, Iowa; Fine Work Award, Junior: Fernando Reyes, New Mexico & Hannah Neils, Minnesota

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	January 29, 2018: Great Gathering-In
*	January 28-February 1, 2018:  <https://nfb.org/washington-seminar> Washington Seminar
*	March 31, 2018: Deadline for scholarship applications,  <http://www.nfb.org/scholarships> www.nfb.org/scholarships
*	March 22-23, 2018:  <https://nfb.org/law-symposium> Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
*	April 15, 2018: Deadline for  <https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main> 2018 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award competition
*	July 3-8, 2018:  <https://nfb.org/convention> National Federation of the Blind National Convention, Orlando, Florida

Mark A. Riccobono

President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>