[Ohio-talk] Dan Membership

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 00:39:17 UTC 2018

Thanks for sending this message. Chapter president and leaders on this call
at your next meetings it is very important to get our members to join dan.
This division needs our help to grow and I am strongly encouraging that we
add dan to each agenda to talk about diabetes.       We know that diabetes
is one of the leading causes of blindness so several of our members should
be a part of this division.
I have been joining the last calls to help the division. We can grow this
division and it will take us all.
Blind diabetics and those losing vision can continue to be independent. The
blind can and do accurately draw up insulin, monitor blood glucose levels,
etc. 'Limitations' are usually self-imposed, and often all that is needed to
overcome negative thinking is simply to know where to go for information.
Some equipment (i.e. audio output devices) has been adapted for the blind.
By using alternative techniques and products, the blind can control their
diabetes as efficiently as do their sighted peers.

The Diabetes Action Network, a division of the National Federation of the
Blind, is a support and information network for all diabetics, especially
those who are blind or losing vision. Many of our members have experienced
ramifications of diabetes such as blindness, amputation, nerve damage, heart
problems, kidney disease, etc. Others have experienced no chronic
complications, but want to utilize our services, learn more about diabetes,
and be part of a caring support group. In addition to reaching out to fellow
diabetics who may be finding it difficult to cope with problems that
accompany diabetes, we provide support and information to interested
persons. Please join our list serv. We have discussions covering all aspects
of living with diabetes.

Bridging the Gap - Living with Blindness and Diabetes focuses on nonvisual
methods of managing diabetes. This volume has been prepared to answer common
questions from blind diabetics. It includes a collection of some of the best
articles from the Voice of the Diabetic and a useful resource section.
Contact the NFB Independence Market for a copy in print or audio.

Additional literature focusing on diabetes as well as blindness related
products, which enable the user to perform everyday tasks more
independently, can be ordered from the NFB Independence Market. The list,
Helpful Tools for Blind Diabetics, describes items which may be of interest.