[Ohio-talk] The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio-AKRON Chapter

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 00:06:58 UTC 2018

Ohio,

I am pleased to inform you that the NFB of Ohio Membership efforts in
revitalizing and restructuring the Akron Chapter has begun. Below is an
article that was written to spread the word that the Akron Chapter will
reorganize and hopefully become a strong pillar in the community.

This past Sunday, President Riccobono emphasized that "Any single moment in
time can be an opportunity for reflection, for commitment, or for action.
That we share this moment together means that we combine our unique
perspectives, backgrounds, and talents into one unified experience.
Publisher Malcolm Forbes noted that diversity is "the art of thinking
independently together." Artist Vincent Van Gogh explained that "great
things are done by a series of small things brought together." And Aristotle
is credited with observing that "the whole is greater than the sum of its
parts." This philosophical musing has now been applied in almost every
aspect of life-from the Gestalt psychological theory that, "the whole is
something else than the sum of its parts," to applications in physiology,
economics, and theology.

This concept is now better known as synergy, from the Latin word synergia
meaning working together. Synergy is broadly understood to be a mutually
advantageous conjunction or compatibility of distinct participants or
elements. Leadership coach Stephen Covey describes it this way: "Synergy is
what happens when one plus one equals ten or a hundred or even a thousand!
It's the profound result when two or more respectful human beings determine
to go beyond their preconceived ideas to meet a great challenge." In this
construction, synergy can be understood as the product of successful
organizing".

So, we as a unified Affiliate will embrace and provide not only leadership
to Akron, but brotherhood with no limitations, inhibitions or high
expectations. We must remember that as the Akron Chapter forms, baby steps
will be taken. It will take us all to become cheerleaders, sounding boards
and offering great support to its members.

On July 21, 2018, Akron will have a meeting to discuss the resurrection of
the Chapter. Please keep Akron and the Ohio Affiliate in your thoughts and
prayers. Many of these individuals are newly blind, and yet hungry to
belong!

Suzanne

__________Subject: Article on AKRON

Please Spread!

////////

AKRON

Group aims to help blind

AKRON: The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, an organization
dedicated to helping blind people, is working to form a local chapter.

A founder's meeting will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 21 at the
Northwest Akron branch of the Akron-Summit County Public Library, 1720
Shatto Ave.

The aim of the group is to make positive social change for blind people
through collective action, organizers said.

The National Federation of the Blind also provides encouragement and support
to families and their blind children and people who have become blind later
in life.

For more information, call Richard Payne, affiliate president of the state,
at 937-829-3368 or email  <mailto:RchPay7 at gmail.com> RchPay7 at gmail.com.