[Ohio-talk] Officers meeting

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 20:05:55 UTC 2018

Please be prepared to recite the message.

blindness is not what holds you back.

1.	Call meeting to order. President Richard Payne
2.	Who's on the call.
3.	Opening remarks President Richard Payne
4.	Code of conduct. Barbra Pierce
5.	Updates from chapter presidents and division leaders.
6.	Open discussion about difficulties running meetings.
7.	Fundraising and raising money for the NFBO.
8.	Next year's Columbus seminar.
9.	Teamwork
One of the reasons that the National Federation of the Blind has become as
effective as it has is that we have refused to make our internal
disagreements public.  After a decision is made (whether by chapter, state
affiliate, or the national body), we expect all the members in that group to
support it.  We believe in full debate.  The group may choose to limit the
time of a debate, but it should give equal time to speakers on both sides of
the question.  When it is time to vote, the vote should be taken fairly, and
discussion should cease.
This is also true of elections.  I recommend that campaigns be kept short,
but this is not a requirement.  If a member or members disagree with a
president or other officer, they are free to support someone else at the
next election.  Even removal from office would be possible if problems
become serious enough.  However, after the election, we expect the winners
and losers and their supporters to proceed with the work of the
organization.  If someone is not willing to do this, we would rather that
the person reduces his or her level of activity than to be argumentative and
disruptive in meetings or between meetings.  Our members have liked this
policy and made it work.  Those who practice this kind of teamwork are more
likely to be leaders in the Federation.  This can be said even more
positively in a different context.  National Federation of the Blind members
respond well to requests for action.  We believe in the organization; we
believe in our leaders; we believe in the competence of the blind; we
believe in ourselves.  Thus, tens of thousands of NFB members are willing
and eager to work together nationally.  The stronger the chapter and the
stronger the state affiliate, the better the teamwork.  This is the nature
of the Federation, and this account's, in a very large measure, for our
success.

10.	theme   for the state convention.
11.
Organizational Priorities for the second half of 2018

1. Dr. Peters membership Chair How to Strengthen membership through
engagement and leadership development at all levels, Membership including
providing better tools to our chapters and tracking our membership progress.
2. Sherri Albers Vice president of NFBO Conduct advocacy, policy, legal, and
partnership programs to protect the rights of blind people, build a more
powerful community of advocates, increase accessibility, and improve
employment and education opportunities for blind people.
3. Richard Payne president NFBO Connect, support, and protect blind
individuals especially parents of blind children, blind parents, and the
newly blind.
4. Suzanne Turner   Good Public relation as it applies to the chapter's and
division which helps to build the federation.
5. Open discussion about Creating new avenues of outreach to bring more
contributors into the supporter network for our movement.
6. Other business

Adjourn

Richard Payne,  President
937-396-5573or 937/829/3368