[Ohio-talk] FW: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 06/25/2018

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 08:25:16 UTC 2018

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

The clock is ticking… exactly six days from the moment I am writing this I will be sitting at the Baltimore Washington International Airport with my family (call us the Riccobono Five) waiting to board a plane to head to Orlando for our 2018 National Convention. Even as we make the final preparations, our work continues. Today is the anniversary of the Fair Labor Standards Act and, as you know, this eighty-year-old civil rights bill for workers does not include equal treatment for people who are blind. Nevertheless, we are making tremendous progress and all of those Federationists who have come before us must certainly be proud of our continued success.

Going into the national convention, I am well aware that our movement thrives because of our combined effort. I am excited to be with you again, to rekindle relationships, enjoy some good stories, and plan for our work ahead. Please note a number of pre-convention items below.

Please travel safely to Orlando and be sure to drop in to the Presidential Suite.

Critical Actions This Week:

Join the Pre-Convention Excitement!:

*	Listen to our newest Nation’s Blind Podcast mini-episode on “ <https://nfb.org/nations-blind/nations-blind-podcast-bonus-episode-5> How to Dress for Convention” and share your thoughts and advice on social media.
*	Read about hosting a  <https://nfb.org/blog/article/3607> banquet listening party in the Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog if you can’t make it this year.
*	Get easy-to-find links to all the latest convention information at  <http://www.nfb.org> www.nfb.org.
*	Follow along and chime in on social media with #nfb18.
*	For your friends and family that are not able to attend this year’s convention, we will be streaming part of it, including the board of directors meeting, general sessions, and the banquet. More information can be found at  <https://nfb.org/convention/2018/stream> nfb.org/convention/2018/stream, including how to access the Spanish streaming. This year, we are partnering with 195 The Globe, an internet radio station run by blind Federationists, for our English stream.

Raffles and Drawings–Posting:
Because of the myriad regulations around raffles, drawings, and gaming we will not advertise raffles, drawings, and other gaming on our webpage. If your state submitted information to post to  <https://nfb.org/convention/exhibit-hall-announcements> https://nfb.org/convention/exhibit-hall-announcements, it will be edited to exclude raffles and drawings. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

News:

CMS Reversal:
Thanks to the advocacy of the Federation and our Diabetes Action Network, a  <https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/article-details.aspx?articleid=52464+> Medicare coverage decision regarding continuous glucose monitors (CGM) was reversed, effective as of June 7, 2018. There will be a blog post out later this week with more details. The original coverage policy denied Medicare beneficiaries reimbursement for their CGM if they used a mobile application in conjunction with the device, which was in practical terms the only way that blind CGM users could effectively use the device. The new  <https://med.noridianmedicare.com/web/jadme/policies/dmd-articles/continuous-glucose-monitors-use-of-smart-devices> coverage policy was posted last week and we can now inform our members with diabetes who are also Medicare beneficiaries that they now have access to this important innovation in diabetes management technology.

Assistance Line and Quiet Room for Convention Attendees:
As you know, convention is both an exciting and busy time for all of us. For some of our members and new attendees it can also be overwhelming and potentially anxiety provoking. In order to assist convention attendees who may be experiencing feelings of anxiety or of being overwhelmed, several measures have been put in place for this year’s convention. We need your help in making sure that convention attendees who are feeling this way do not fall through the cracks as this is a super busy time for everyone. To that end, please make sure to put the following into your affiliate action plan before and during convention:

1.       Please make sure that everyone you know of who is attending convention from your affiliate knows how to get in touch with you and with other leaders from your affiliate.

2.       Encourage attendees to contact you or another leader within your affiliate if they need your help.

3.       If you are contacted by someone feeling anxious or obviously overwhelmed, try to help from your end first. Let them know that it is quite normal to feel this way and that they will be okay. Taking time to speak in person, in a quiet place usually helps. Please do so, if at all possible.

4.       Rather than direct those in need of a quiet place to wind down to the Host Affiliates Suite we have established a “Quiet Room.” The Ambassadors will be on alert for anyone needing assistance particularly during those times when the majority of convention goers will be out and about.  They will direct those in need of a place to ground themselves and regroup to the Quiet Room.  There will be someone on hand to help those in mild distress or in need of a quiet place for a few minutes. The Quiet Room is not intended to be used as a hangout or meeting room. Please help make sure that this room is reserved for its intended use.

5.       If you feel that you are not equipped to help, for those who are experiencing moderate to severe anxiety, please contact the assistance number for help: 443-457-3401. The number will be staffed by someone who can help develop a plan of action with you.

6.       If there are reports of harassment of any kind or of events that need to be reported such as unwanted sexual advances or physical violence from anyone attending our convention, please stay with the person who has confided in you and immediately call the assistance line at 443-457-3401.

Your help in making certain that everyone attending our convention is safe and that any issues are taken care of appropriately is greatly appreciated. While we don’t expect for issues to arise, we want to be prepared in case they do.

Vehicle Donations Up for May:
May vehicle donations were up. A special shout-out to New Jersey for a vehicle that netted the Federation more than $5,000. Thanks to all who help solicit cars, trucks, and the like. Please keep working toward obtaining vehicle donations. If you want ideas, you can visit  <https://nfb.org/vehicle-donation-materials> https://nfb.org/vehicle-donation-materials. If someone wants to gift a car, please ask them to visit  <https://nfb.org/vehicledonations> https://nfb.org/vehicledonations or call 855-659-9314. This program is especially helpful as it brings in unrestricted funds to help us build the Federation.

Reminders:

Portrait Studio at Convention:
This year we have a new backdrop for our portrait studio. We would like to get current photos of all board members and state and chapter leaders in front of it for 2018. These photos will be used on our new website, in the Braille Monitor, etc., and can make great profile photos anywhere you need one. Anyone is welcome to take advantage of this opportunity, but we are requesting leaders make it a priority. Please plan to drop by the portrait studio at one of the following times to have your photo taken:

July 3 Seminar Day: Portrait Studio Open: 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
July 5 Board Meeting Day: Portrait Studio Open: 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
July 6 Opening Session: Portrait Studio Open: One hour before general session starts.
July 8 Banquet Day: Portrait Studio Open: One hour before banquet.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	July 3-8, 2018:  <https://nfb.org/convention> National Federation of the Blind National Convention, Orlando, Florida
*	July 29-August 4, 2018:  <http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq> NFB EQ
*	October 11-12, 2018: Tactile Graphics Symposium
*	March 28-29, 2019: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium

Mark A. Riccobono

President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>