[Ohio-talk] Article:////I became blind a couple of years ago, and I thought my life was completely over.

Wanda Sloan wsloan118 at roadrunner.com
Tue Mar 20 13:04:55 UTC 2018

Good story.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio-Talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Suzanne
Turner via Ohio-Talk
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2018 8:45 PM
To: 'NFB of Ohio, Cleveland Chapter List' <nfboh-cleveland at nfbnet.org>; 'NFB
of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List' <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>; 'Frankie
Jones' <victory71351 at aol.com>; Williamsjoann at outlook.com; 'Brooke Dowdy'
<bdowdy1983 at gmail.com>; 'Ronnie Leeth' <leeth123 at roadrunner.com>;
michaelswinney05 at gmail.com
Cc: Suzanne Turner <smturner.234 at gmail.com>
Subject: [Ohio-talk] Article:////I became blind a couple of years ago, and I
thought my life was completely over.

NFB National Convention Showcase

By: Kham Porter

I became blind a couple of years ago, and I thought my life was completely
over. I was on the brink of falling into the deep dark black hole, until. I
attended a structured discovery program in 2016 and went with them to my
first NFB National Convention where I signed up to sing at the Talent
Showcase.

On the evening of the Showcase I arrived at the auditorium very early and
settled into a seat in the front row. It was quiet except for the sounds of
the technician and stagehands setting up, judges getting into place, and
organizers talking and laughing together. I wondered why no one greeted me
with the usual "Hi! Can I help you?" I felt rejected and ignored. Other
Showcase participants trickled in and I heard their friendly chatter as they
gave their names and got checked in. I even felt a bit angry that people
were getting checked in while I was still being ignored. Plus, I was there
first and they were all cutting in! Then I began to figure it out.

Little by little, other contestants arrived. They were so friendly with each
other, laughing and talking, I thought they were all old friends. The newly
arrived contestants who sat on each side of me introduced themselves and
asked my name. Then they called out to the check-in guy, "Hey, Kham is
here!"

Ah, another piece of the puzzle. I was learning how things get done. They
were so helpful, even giving me iPhone tips as we waited, and I learned
that, contrary to my first impression, they were not old friends; they came
from all over the U.S. and had just met. At last, I felt like part of the
group.

Soon it was time to get in place for the performance and helpers gave me the
lineup and told me where to wait offstage. Yes, they were also blind. And
the technician I had heard doing all the impressive electronic setup work
earlier? When it was time for me to sing I held out my cable so the tech
could connect it to the sound system, and wow! It surprised me when the tech
and I bumped hands a few times-he too was finding the cable by touch, not by
looking for it!

So, one piece at a time, I got the picture. This was not what I expected,
not the way things were usually done. It was a new experience. Blind people
did everything!

My Showcase experience, and the overall convention experience of being with
so many accomplished, independent blind people, was a breakthrough that
convinced me that it was possible to return to work as a blind man and to
resume doing activities I absolutely enjoy. Six months later, after
continuing my training at the structured discovery program, I did just that.
I returned to work as a legal and medical interpreter, requiring me to
navigate court buildings and medical center offices. Life isn't over. It is
different and enriched. We can still pursue our dreams and live the lives we
want.

 <https://nfb.org/iof/2018/03/PresLetter> < Letter from President Riccobono
<https://nfb.org/iof/2018/03> up <https://nfb.org/iof/2018/03/NFBEQ>
National Federation of the Blind Engineering Quotient (EQ): A Summer Program
for Blind and Low-Vision Teens >

C2018 All Rights Reserved - Copyright 2018 National Federation of the Blind
<https://nfb.org/privacy-policy> Privacy Policy
<https://nfb.org/accessibility-policy> Accessibility Polic

Suzanne Hartfield-Turner, President

NFBOH-Cleveland