[Ohio-talk] Regarding Public Transit Resolution

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 18:06:12 UTC 2018

Hello, I wanted to take this opportunity to expand on my comments
regarding the public transit resolution at the convention.  I understand
that much of the funding for transit authorities comes from the local
communities - in Ohio, this is the sales tax in all counties but one,
which is Lucas and which receives its funding from a property tax.

The state does have an influence on this, however.  In 2017, transit
agencies started losing a lot of funding from the medicaid MCO sales
tax.  While the governor pledged to reimburse transit agencies for this
loss, it has been unclear if the entire amount each agency would lose
would be reimbursed.  This amounted to 18 million dollars for Cleveland
RTA, for example.  Please see the following article from 2017:

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/01/gov_kasich_proposes_changes_to.html

I understand that most of the issues cited in the legislation could be
resolved at the local level, with the specific transit agencies, but why
not push for greater priority from the state for funding transit
agencies during our Columbus seminar event in April?  These agencies are
experiencing financial difficulty, particularly in Lucas County, since a
property tax does not provide as much funding as a sales tax.  I think
we should lobby the state to do better as far as supporting public
transportation.

Also, are members permitted to motion for amendments to resolutions
during the general session when we vote to pass them or is this done
during the resolutions committee meeting Friday night?

Thanks,

Robby