[Ohio-talk] [External] Re: Ohio you should be using this in your education efforts WHITE CANE SAFETY DAY

Payne, Richard (Synchrony) richard.payne at syf.com
Sun Oct 7 16:24:27 UTC 2018

Thanks for being on the team.

From: Ohio-Talk <ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Sheri Albers via Ohio-Talk
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2018 11:43 AM
To: 'NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List' <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Sheri Albers <sheri.albers87 at gmail.com>
Subject: [External] Re: [Ohio-talk] Ohio you should be using this in your education efforts WHITE CANE SAFETY DAY

Hello President Payne,
I just want to put the text of the updated White Cane proclamation below. This day is now referred to as White Cane Awareness Day. Here is information from the NFB website discussing the name change:

The History of White Cane Awareness Day
While it was not uncommon throughout history for blind people to use a stick or cane to navigate, society largely didn't accept that blind people could travel by ourselves until recently.
In the 1960s, the National Federation of the Blind became a leader in fighting for the rights of the blind and in pioneering innovative training programs using the white cane. At our urging, the United States Congress adopted a joint resolution in 1964 designating October 15 of each year as White Cane Safety Day. This publicly recognized that white canes enable blind people to travel safely and independently. You can read more about the rich history leading to this joint resolution and about the first proclamation of White Cane Safety Day by then president Lyndon Johnson in this article by Dr. Marc Maurer<https://nfb.org/white-cane-safety-day>.
While the white cane keeps blind people safe (because drivers and other pedestrians can easily see it), it is also a tool that blind people use to explore and navigate our environment. For this reason, the emphasis of White Cane Safety Day has shifted over time away from safety, and toward independence and equality. We believe that it's important to celebrate this history and recognize the white cane as the tool that allows the blind to "come and go on [our] own" as President Johnson said back in 1964.
To emphasize the shift in focus from safety to independence, and to continue to use the white cane as a symbol, we have chosen to refer to this day as White Cane Awareness Day.

PROCLAMATION:
STATE OR CITY OF (name of state or city)

WHITE CANE AWARENESS DAY PROCLAMATION (Sample)

      WHEREAS, the white cane, which every blind citizen of our state/city has the right to carry, demonstrates and symbolizes the ability to achieve a full and independent life and the capacity to work productively in competitive employment; and

      WHEREAS, the white cane, by allowing every blind person to move freely and safely from place to place, makes it possible for the blind to fully participate in and contribute to our society and to live the lives they want; and

      WHEREAS, every citizen should be aware that the law requires that motorists and cyclists exercise appropriate caution when approaching a blind person carrying a white cane; and

      WHEREAS, (name of state) law also calls upon employers, both public and private, to be aware of and utilize the employment skills of our blind citizens by recognizing their worth as individuals and their productive capacities; and

      WHEREAS, the State of (name of state), through its public agencies and with the cooperative assistance of the (name of Federation affiliate), can and should facilitate the expansion of employment opportunities for and greater acceptance of blind persons in the competitive labor market:

      NOW, THEREFORE, I, (name of Governor/mayor), Governor of the State of (name of state or city), do hereby proclaim October 15, _________, as

WHITE CANE AWARENESS DAY

in (name of state) and do call upon our schools, colleges, and universities to offer full opportunities for training to blind persons; upon employers and the public to utilize the available skills of competent blind persons and to open new opportunities for the blind in our rapidly changing society; and upon all citizens to recognize the white cane as a tool of independence for blind pedestrians on our streets and highways.

Best Regards,
Sheri Albers, Vice President
513.886.8697
Sheri.albers87 at gmail.com<mailto:Sheri.albers87 at gmail.com>