[Ohio-talk] From The Membership Committee

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 13:29:24 UTC 2019

The importance of attending the national convention!

By Ohio Affilliate President, Richard Payne

I have attended almost every National convention since I joined the National
Federation of the Blind. I have travel to many states, like Louisiana,
Illinois and across to Michigan and then to Florida, each was empowering and
thrilling to say the least.  As I look back on all the occurrences, what
sticks with me are the laws that were enacted because of the work of the
National Federation of the Blind. I can still remember the gavel dropping
and how loud the crowd was and the over-whelming excitement that filled the
room from the conventioneers. Moreover, the National Convention hotel will
test your skills, and yet strengthen them as well, but it is the members and
fellowship that has a long-lasting impact. The national convention is where
all fifty-two states get together and make decisions about laws and set
policies for the organization. We benefit by attending for several reasons;
for example, to connect likeminded members, to break down barriers and share
advice from a real-world point of view. There is always someone who has
"been there and done that"! Furthermore, there are division and committee
meetings that represent just about every topic and profession; such as
Rehabilitation Counselors, Artist, Sports and Recreation and more. For five
years, the National Convention has held a National Federation of the Blind
Career Fair with over thirty employers from across the country who offer
vocational guidance and employment opportunities for our job seekers. And,
who could forget about the spectacular Exhibit Hall with rows and rows of
tables featuring technology, hand-held gadgets, T-shirts, unusual products
and more.

Additionally, during the Convention one of the most uplifting aspect, in my
opinion is the banquet speech. Last year the roof almost came off the
banquet hall, because President Riccobono delivered one of the best speeches
that I've heard in a very long time. You can assure if you attend this
year's National Convention, it will be one of the largest and most moving
events that you will ever have an opportunity to attend. As many of you
know, I come from Arkansas, a state that had no convention assistance.
Hence, we shared rooms and helped out with transportation so all could
attend. If you are planning to go to Las Vegas for the 2019 National
Convention, reach out to your Chapter President for support, consider
sharing rooms and start talking to friends, family members and sponsors for
contributions. It is also important to   apply for the 2019 Kenneth Jernigan
Scholarship Fund, if you are a first-timer. We invest in our membership and
if you are attending your first Convention, you should apply for the grant.
Those who are not first-timers, the cost of the rooms this year are
approximately $20.00 variance than last year. The pre-registration is equal
to last year as well. We can do this together and make it to the 2019
National Convention in beautiful Las Vegas Nevada.

Finally, I have met many blind people who say that the Convention was quite
overwhelming, but an experience that they would not change. Perhaps, it is
the meeting of new blind friends and the discovery that blind people work
and play as their sighted peers. The Convention is where we are in the
majority and it is organized by blind people and for the blind. We can
assist you with filling out the forms or just providing mentorship. So, if
you are a first-timer or seasoned and need help then please feel free to
reach out to the Ohio leadership. It is through love, hope and
determination, the National Federation of the Blind transform dreams into
reality. We can live the life we want; blindness is not what holds us back.

Here is the 2019 Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund Program:

Deadline to apply is April 15, 2019

Allen Harris is the chairman of the Kenneth Jernigan Fund Committee and was
one of the people who came up with the idea of honoring our former president
and longtime leader by establishing a program to promote attendance at the
national convention, where so much inspiration and learning occur.

Have you always wanted to attend an NFB annual convention but have not done
so because of the lack of funds? The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
Fund invites you to make an application for a scholarship grant. Perhaps
this July you too can be in the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada,
enjoying the many pleasures and learning opportunities at the largest and
most important yearly convention of blind people in the world.

            The three biggest ticket items you need to cover when attending
an NFB national convention are the roundtrip transportation, the hotel room
for a week, and the food (which tends to be higher priced than at home). We
attempt to award additional funds to families, but, whether a family or an
individual is granted a scholarship, this fund can only help; it won't pay
all the costs. Last year most of the sixty grants were in the range of $400
to $500 per individual.

            We recommend that you find an NFB member as your personal
convention mentor, someone who has been to many national conventions and is
able to share money-saving tips with you and tips on navigating the
extensive agenda in the big hotel. Your mentor will help you get the most
out of the amazing experience that is convention week.