[Ohio-talk] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 04/22/2019

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 18:08:39 UTC 2019

From: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 5:03 PM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 04/22/2019

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Spring is in full swing in Baltimore, and we can feel the fresh new start in the air. We can also feel it in our building where our demolition of the fourth floor of the Barney Street wing will be complete this week and construction of the interior space will begin.

I want to make you aware that the board of directors has recently approved changes in our code of conduct policy. We will be sending out a memo to all affiliates about the code and how it applies to the affiliates. The important thing for you to know is that it is not necessary for every affiliate to have its own code. Since the national policy applies to all leaders and members, the board decided to adopt one single code across the Federation. In early May you will receive a memo about this change and how to implement it at the local level.

A few notes below about current happenings. Our scholarship committee is meeting this weekend, so you can anticipate getting lots of questions from applicants about the decisions. Keep in mind that you should not share any news until the official press release comes out from the national office.

News:

Blind Parents Podcast:
The Blind Parents Connection Podcast is a component of the Blind Parent Education Initiative supported by the Gibney Family Foundation and brought to you by National Federation of the Blind. We just released the first episode, “Blind Parents Connection Episode 1: Resources,” which you can access from our blind parents webpage <https://nfb.org/our-community/blind-parents> . Listen to future episodes by subscribing to the Nation's Blind Podcast in your podcast client.

Governor Ridge’s Op-Ed:
Tom Ridge, former governor of Pennsylvania, is currently the chairman of the National Organization on Disability. He wrote an NY Times op-ed piece <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/17/opinion/disability-budget-cuts-trump.html>  addressing proposed budget cuts to programs that affect people with disabilities.

Zoom Conference Platform:
A number of you have asked about the Zoom platform for conference calls. As you know we have moved to using Zoom for teleconferences for the national organization. We have analyzed whether we might be able to get better pricing by bundling all affiliates together that want to use Zoom, but we do not think it will be cost effective for us to manage Zoom accounts through the national organization. Our experience is that Zoom is a very accessible and cost-effective way to have a powerful and reliable tool for conference calls. If it would be helpful to enough affiliates, we could put together a national informational call for affiliates, via Zoom of course, to talk about how you might use it for affiliate business. If this would be helpful, please send an email to Ross Kirschner at rkischner at nfb.org <mailto:rkischner at nfb.org> .

NFB BELL Academy Dates:
One correction to the previously listed NFB BELL Academies:

*	7/22-8/2 Kansas City, MO (not Columbia, MO)

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	May 1, 2019:  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award> Distinguished Educator Award nomination deadline
*	June 16-22, 2019:  <http://www.blindscience.org/nfbeq> NFB EQ, Baltimore, Maryland

*	July 7-12, 2019: NFB National Convention <https://nfb.org/convention/2019> , Las Vegas, Nevada
*	February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 |  <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>