[Ohio-talk] Do you remember your first convention?

Barbara Shaidnagle bshaid at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 11:31:25 UTC 2019

The first National Convention Joe and I went to was Baltimore 1978.  We
drove in our white Aspen station wagon.  We were involved in the cb craze.
I was Tenderfoot, Joe was Candlepacker.

We made it fine through state after state.  When we got on the tollway, I
took to asking them if they took credit cards.  They did not then, do  not
know about now.

All went really well until we got to Baltimore itself.  Even with
directions from cb people, we wound up in the red light district.  Imagine
the stuff I described to Joe, boys fighting over boys, girls fighting over
girls, and a boy and girl fightiing and the object of their affection just
walking away, whistling....

We finally made it to the hotel in Baltimore, 2 a.m.  Of course, our room
was not ready.  We slept on the floor of a friend's room until our room was
ready.

We and the food provided in a few rooms and Joe found those with liquid
refreshments.

Convention as such was marvelous and such a learning experience.  If I
remember correctly, that was the convention where Dr. Jernigan put the
question of whether the National Federation of the Blind should begin to
have its own centers to teach blind people mobility?  I remember saying
yes.  You would not believe the speeches against.

On our free day of that convention, several busloads went off to picket the
FAA over the airline issue.  "Make sure you are bathroomed and watered
before boarding your bus" Dr. Jerniagan advised.  Joe went.  I stayed in
Baltimore and took local interest pictures.