[Ohio-Talk] Introducing the 2019 NFB of Ohio Scholarship Winners

Cassandra Jones cassandra.jones02 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 02:10:26 UTC 2019

Dear NFB of Ohio,

As we prepare for our 73rd annual state convention in November, Obstacles
are Opportunities, I'd like to introduce you to our 2019 Scholarship
winners. But first, I'd like to thank the committee, Ali Benmerzouga and
Michael Leiterman for their hard work and commitment AS WE DELIBERATED TO
SELECT OUR SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS. This was a difficult task, but we feel
the winners have equally demonstrated that they are truly deserving of a
Scholarship from the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio.

The winners are: Nakita Griffin, Kinshuck Tella, and Lucas Cassi.

Nakita Griffin is a rising senior at Otterbein University where she is
studying psychology. From Nakita's personal essay: "My blindness has only
made me stronger as a person, and it has taught me many lessons as well. I
do not let my blindness hinder me in any way, and it doesn't slow me down."

Kinshuck Tella will be studying Environmental Science and Geology at Miami
University this fall. From his personal essay: "With several years of
leadership positions in my schools performing arts and band programs, I have
gained skills in which I will use to lead change and efforts in the future.
I have always and will always work hard to achieve positive impact and
goals, especially towards areas of passion. It's always been about being
able to play on a level playing field, whether this directly relates to
sports or to other areas of personal development."

Lucas Cassi is working towards his Bachelors' degree in Communication from
Kent State University, with a concentration in Interpersonal Communication
and a minor in Peace and Conflict Studies. From his personal essay: "I
graduated from the Louisiana Center of the Blind (LCB). There, I was taught
the independent skills I needed to live the life I want. It was there I
realized, I am not limited by blindness, only my drive and determination."

Join the scholarship committee in congratulating the winners and welcoming
them to our state convention in November!