[Ohio-Talk] HB 188 Update

info at onhconsulting.com info at onhconsulting.com
Fri Dec 20 19:54:08 UTC 2019

That's good. My question is (and I know I mentioned this last year during our legislative call), that to our knowledge, none of the organizations representing social workers or workers for JFS, like the National Association of Social Workers Ohio Chapter, AFSCME, etc., have given any public statements for or against this bill. These are the workers that would be making the initial decisions to threaten to take a child away from a Blind parent based on erroneous information about the Blind person's competencies as a parent.

As an MSW myself, I honestly find this very surprising. I think if this bill is past (or even while it is being considered) we as a Federation need to be working with these organizations (and schools of Social Work) to educate potential and current child welfare workers on the competencies of Blind parents.

At least when I was working on my degrees in Social Work, disability issues were hardly discussed at all in our curriculum--let alone Blindness issues. I was the only student in my Bachelor's level classes at Wright State who completed a field placement in a disability related agency. If you wanted to work with disability issues, you typically either study rehabilitation counseling or education, and those professionals have know concept of people with disabilities as a diverse class of individuals or consumer organizations like the Federation. I think that organizations of social workers (and faculty of social work Bachelor's and Master's programs), would be excellent to partner with in our efforts to pass this bill.

Thanks in advance for reading my rant, and Happy Holidays.

Chris