[Ohio-talk] Looking For BELL Volunteers

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 18:18:37 UTC 2019

Although the dates are not yet set for BELL our Braille Enrichment Literacy and Learning Academy, you can be sure it will take place between mid June and mid August, 2019. I want you to start thinking about helping now. At this time we are planning a one week residential program to be held at the school for the Blind. There will be some behind the scenes work that needs to be done, and that is important, so I want to hear from you even if you don’t plan to be on campus and directly involved with BELL.

The BELL academy is certainly a week of learning and growing for the students we serve, but it is the same for adult volunteers. My expectations for all volunteers are high, because this program is all about the kids. I have been called a drill sergeant, dictator, and probably some names people haven’t wanted me to hear, but it is because I expect us to give everything we have to the kids during that week. If you are willing to do that, we will all have a great time.

This is a volunteer opportunity. Expenses including transportation will be reimbursed according to NFB Ohio policy.

Please email me off list if you want to participate in BELL in 2019. Don’t assume that I know you will do it. Send me your name no matter what. If you have questions, reservations, uncertainties, please contact me off list

If you volunteer you will be appreciated, but that doesn’t mean you will actually be chosen to be on campus with the kids during the week of BELL. Everyone must undergo a background check. The decision about who will be working with the kids is complex, but important to the success of the program. In the past I have turned down volunteers who are good friends, because the fit wasn’t right or for some other reason. It is my goal, however, to find a way to use your talent to benefit this program if you offer it.

This is just the first of many times this request will go out, but don’t think you can wait and reply later. Let me hear from you now!

Send a message to

peduffy63 at gmail.com <mailto:peduffy63 at gmail.com>

I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Eric