[Ohio-Talk] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 07/29/2019

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 09:57:36 UTC 2019

From: President, National Federation of the Blind
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 11:04 AM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 07/29/2019

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Greetings from sunny Charm City where the National Federation of the Blind Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning Academy is spreading excitement and joy through the halls of our Jernigan Institute.

While August feels like a quiet time, I urge you to pay attention to a number of advance items key to planning fall activities. I also want you to be aware that our national headquarters will be closed on August 23 for staff development activities. With our open houses, fall conventions, Meet the Blind Month, and other Federation work ahead, there is plenty to do in the dog days of summer.

News:

Presidential Release:
The August release will be out later this week, prior to Saturday.

Juan Carlos Gil:

We have reason to believe that web accessibility serial plaintiff Juan Carlos Gil attended the NFB Convention with the intent of recruiting NFB members to join him in filing multiple, successive ADA lawsuits. Please note that Mr. Gil is not recruiting complainants on behalf of the NFB, that his legal advocacy does not align with the NFB’s strategy, and that efforts such as his are representative of the click-by lawsuits described in the NFB’s Resolution 2019-09: Regarding ADA Litigation <https://nfb.org/resources/speeches-and-reports/resolutions/2019-resolutions#09> . Please alert Valerie Yingling, legal program coordinator, at 410-659-9314, extension 2440, or vyingling at nfb.org <mailto:vyingling at nfb.org> , if Mr. Gil attends your state convention.

Time to Prepare for Meet the Blind Month:
The National Federation of the Blind celebrates Meet the Blind Month <https://nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month>  every October. If you haven’t already, it’s time to start planning for it. Throughout October, members conduct outreach activities across the country. Plan an event in your local community to talk about blindness and the NFB philosophy. Order materials from the Independence Market <https://nfb.org/programs-services/independence-market>  such as the Braille alphabet cards to distribute at your local event. Here are some ideas: speak at a public library, distribute literature at a festival, visit high schools, get on a local radio station, hold a walk or cookout. Get creative! We also feature your events on nfb.org, so send your activity and event details to web at nfb.org <mailto:web at nfb.org> .

Legislative Update:
Last Wednesday, just days before the twenty-ninth anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Representatives Jan Schakowsky (D-IL 09), Mark DeSaulnier (D-CA 11), and Lisa Blunt Rochester (D-DE) introduced the Greater Access and Independence through Nonvisual Access Technology (GAIN) Act, H.R. 3929, in the US House of Representatives. This legislation will authorize the Access Board to develop a minimum nonvisual access standard for home-use medical devices, exercise equipment, and home appliances. By taking this important step, Congress is ensuring that our right to live independently and manage our households and our health is not hindered by inaccessible technology. Stay tuned for more updates regarding this legislation.

NFB-NEWSLINE® Mobile 3.0 Beta with KNFB Reader Basic:
Take advantage of the new features early and help provide feedback to expand the app. The NFB-NEWSLINE mobile app beta version is available to download on your iPhones and iPads. Included in the app is the KNFB Reader Basic, which provides the useful core features at no cost. Within the KNFB Reader section, just point and shoot for access to print on-the-go. This beta version is a pre-released, advanced development of the app. Your participation and feedback expand the amount of testing done, which will help us develop a better product. Note: Installing this beta app will overwrite your existing NFB-NEWSLINE mobile app. Enjoy NFB-NEWSLINE <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-newsline>  and KNFB Reader Basic <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/knfb-reader> , together!

How to get the app:

*         First, download the Test Flight app on your device.

*         Then, on your device, select NFB-NEWSLINE 3.0 Beta by going to this link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/zuoVUXFv.You’ll need your NFB-NEWSLINE login credentials.

*         Share your feedback or request assistance by sending an email tonfbnewsline-ios at nfb.org <mailto:nfbnewsline-ios at nfb.org>  or by calling 866-504-7300.

We look forward to your participation and feedback.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	August 23, 2019: NFB headquarters closed for staff development
*	February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins
*	March 26-27, 2020: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium, Baltimore, Maryland
*	June 30-July 5, 2020: NFB National Convention, Houston, Texas

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>