[Ohio-talk] buckeye update

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 19:05:44 UTC 2019

Buckeye Update
June 3, 2019

NFB of Ohio, by now most of you are aware that Dayton and its surrounding
areas; just went through a serious and distressing storm. When I woke up
that night, I heard a loud roaring sound and thought that someone must have
been playing some type of loud music. The thought never came to me that it
would be a tornado. As an Arkansas native from the south, we had a tornado
that wiped out half of the town where I resided. What was left in that area
were  just trees and some scattered houses.  Like here in Dayton, it was
quite devastating. As I approached my  bathroom window that night, I
immediately recognized the sound. This is why I have an appreciation of
offering everyday thanks for the morning. Similarly, thanks to Barbra for
initiating through OhioTalk that we are offering a grant to assist those who
may be in crisis, due to the impact of the tornado. I am not Shure if we
have others that may need help, but it is great to know that the NFB is
available.

Last week, the Springfield Chapter  organized a fundraising concert hosted
by Mother Stewart's Brewing Company with the musical partnership of Six
Cents and  Federationist, JW Smith. The event was spectacular! Consequently,
it is events, such as this that gives me an opportunity to be among new
members in our Federation family. Moreover, I encourage Chapters to
communicate with Springfield members who arranged this event and see if they
can develop this type of partnership with a similar entity.

I would like to thank Suzanne Turner for conducting the Greyhound testing
project. The Ohio Affiliate received $400.00 for her efforts. This was a
secret shopper testing program and it was very important to see  how
greyhound customer service agents would assist the blind when purchasing
tickets via the telephone.

Cassandra Jones has confirmed that we have  several applications for the
2019 NFBO Scholarship Program. When the winners are chosen, we will put that
message out far and wide. Thanks to all of you that have sent letters of
recommendations. I am excited with the new applicants who have completed the
process.

The state convention will be coming around before you know it.  You can
start reserving your room now! The 73rd Annual State of Ohio Convention will
be held on November    1st, 2nd and 3rd, 2019, at the DoubleTree by Hilton,
Columbus-Worthington Hotel, 175 Hutchinson Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43235.
Call (614) 885-3334 And reserve your room. The total cost of a double or
king room for one night is $104.60 with breakfast and Wi-Fi included.

Dear Chapter Presidents,
It is finally here! What's that you say? The new member form is up and
running! For any new members who have not been listed on your membership
spread sheets  for this year and moving forward, please fill out the new
member form located at https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/newmember/form/.

As a friendly reminder, during the April Leadership Weekend, several members
said they would send one hundred dollars to the affiliate to help defray the
cost. I think that you should understand that just saying you are committed
is one thing but in the old days they would say "put your money where your
mouth is." That may not be the best way to say it, but you should
understand! Several members have donated time and money, so you know that
this is not directed toward you. However, please send your donations and try
to encourage others to do so.

In addition, Chapters are also encouraged to help with the door prize
contribution that the affiliate will be giving at the 2019 National
Convention. You should send a check to Sherry Ruth made out to the NFBO and
put door prizes in the memo.

Those who are receiving assistance from the First Timers Grant from the
Kenneth Jernigan Fund should have already got notice by now one way or
another.  However, if you did not receive notification, they probably did
not contact you. But, I received a notice that seven Ohio members of the
Affiliate were recipients in aiding them with attending the 2019 national
convention. Note! All who will attend the National Convention will have an
opportunity to sale candy as one of our fundraisers. We need everyone to
assist with the endeavor. Also, please contact Sheri Albers if your Chapter
or Division will be selling items in the Exhibit Hall and who will work the
table.

Those who have applied for the state assistance for the National Convention,
should by now have talked to me.  Please be patient as we are working out
those arrangements.  Nevertheless, if you do not know where you stand,
please contact me off list.

Finally, we are now in the season when most Chapters have outings, such as,
picknicks or some other activities that promote fellowship; which leads to
the growing of our membership. Those types of events are very important. It
allows us to get to know each other even better and new members can feel
like they also have a chance to be more involved. One of the National
initiatives is to grow the membership. So, I am counting on us all to assist
with this effort.

This has been a very busy start of our year and I am Shure that more
exciting things will be coming along soon. So, thank you Ohio for a
productive six months in 2019. I am looking forward to the remaining months
of doing the Federation's work!

Although, I could write more, but stay tuned!

Richard Payne,  President
937-396-5573or 937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com
blindness is not what holds you back