[Ohio-talk] H.B. 214 testamony

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 13:36:12 UTC 2019

Barbra, This is wonderful.

Richard Payne,  President
937-396-5573or 937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com
blindness is not what holds you back

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio-Talk <ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Barbara Pierce
via Ohio-Talk
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2019 8:43 AM
To: Suzanne Turner via Ohio-Talk <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Barbara Pierce <barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com>
Subject: [Ohio-talk] H.B. 214 testamony

I have sent my testimony to Michael Lieterman to forward to the Ohio General
Assembly Health Committee. It is easy to do. You just tell your story, but
you have to send it to Michael by Monday.  Please do it.

June 21, 2019

Dear Chairman Merrin, Vice Chairman Manning, and Ranking Member Boyd:

Thank you for this opportunity to provide written testimony in favor of H.B.
214. I am a healthy seventy-four-year-old woman who has been blind all of
her life. Thankfully I do not yet take multiple medications. However, my
husband is ten years older than I, and he takes a number of medications.
Luckily he can still manage the complex schedule of pills every day. But I
am aware that at any point I could be faced with the need to supervise the
times and amounts of his medications. We live in a retirement community, but
residents who do not have a way of reliably managing their medications wind
up in short order in assisted living.

The local Discount DrugMart does not offer a medication identification
system to its customers. If H.B. 214 were law in Ohio, I would not face the
problem that is now hanging over my head, and of course my own medical
situation could change at any time, leaving me with medications to manage
for myself without pharmacy support.

In our retirement community many people are dealing with diminished vision
and complex regimens of medication. A number have given up and moved to
assisted living because they cannot be confident in their ability to keep
their medications straight. This move with its accompanying loss of
independence and dignity could be avoided if they could just identify their
medications and be reminded of dosage amounts and times.

Access to the information available to the reading public was supposed to be
guaranteed to print disabled by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990,
but it is a right still denied to most of us. I urge you to vote this bill
onto the House floor and we hope on its way to passage.

Thank you for considering my point of view.

Very truly yours,

Barbara Pierce

Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com

198 Kendal Dr.

Oberlin, OH 44074

Barbara Pierce, President Emerita
National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com

expectations for blind people because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and their dreams. You can live the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.