[Ohio-talk] Akron presentation recap

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 5 14:33:10 UTC 2019

Just thought I'd share this, yesterday afternoon Andra Stover and I addressed our Summit County Council. After speaking with a Council Member a few weeks ago, we had been asked to come in and talk about our new NFB Chapter. I started with some info about how our chapter has grown since its formation last summer, and a description of the NFB, our mission to advance the social and economic equality, security and opportunity for the blind in the Akron area, and how we achieve it, touching on scholarships and training programs, advocacy and legislation. Andra then spoke about her experience in Washington and the legislative issues the NFB championed there, such as GAIN, ATAA and DEA, and for Columbus we named the primary initiatives, including the rights of blind parents, guide dogs and accessible meds/prescriptions, and stressed their importance. We ended by asking the eleven members of Council and the County Executive, to take with them into their districts and the community, the information we presented plus our contact info and NFB handouts we provided. This very positive experience ended with thanks and the Council President stating that he learned a lot of things he did not know, and their promise of support. Andra was great. I was okay. Ariat (Andra's guide dog) was the star, and probably helped hold their attention. We were told later that many of the Council Members were very focused on us when we spoke, nodding along at certain points. Time well spent.

Dave Bertsch
Greater Akron