[Ohio-talk] CVG launches video-assisted service

Lisa Hall lhall007 at cinci.rr.com
Sun Mar 24 00:10:40 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

Here is a link to the story you have been waiting for since March 8, 2019.

www.cvgairport.com/about/news/2019/03/22/cvg-launches-video-assisted-service

Sorry about the long link.

The text is below.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio
Aira Explorer

----------

CVG launches video-assisted service

Erlanger, Ky. (March 22, 2019) – The Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky
International Airport (CVG) is rolling out an app-based, video-assisted
service to enable blind and low-vision travelers to self-navigate the airport.

CVG’s partnership with tech firm, Aira, connects blind and low-vision
travelers with highly trained, remotely-located agents. Through the
smartphone app, or a pair of Horizon Smart Glasses, travelers get
instant access to visual information at the touch of a button –
enhancing navigation, efficiency and independence.

HOW IT WORKS: Travelers can access the Aira service for free, as soon
as they enter the airport. Aira is available on any iPhone or Android
smartphone, and can also be accessed by an individual’s Aira Horizon
smart glasses, which come equipped with an embedded camera. Aira’s
trained, professional agents can see the user’s surroundings via the
camera stream from the phone or glasses, as well as geolocation
information, airport maps, flight information, and more, to provide
on-demand assistance to travelers who are blind or low vision.

LINK to photos and video of demonstration with Lisa, an Aira Explorer,
who subscribes to the Aira service. Lisa called an Aira agent once she
entered CVG Airport to navigate to the Starbucks on the Ticketing
level. The Aira agent read the menu to her to order a coffee and guided
her back to the airline ticket counters.

Airports have become one of the most popular places to use the service,
which is now also available in El Paso, Texas; Houston and London’s
Heathrow Airport, among others.

“At CVG Airport, we’re deeply committed to accessibility; providing
independence and the opportunity to travel by air to all,” said Candace
McGraw, chief executive officer, CVG. “This tool is innovative and
necessary for many travelers. We’re happy to provide the service for
our passengers to elevate their experience while at CVG.”

“Aira believes that greater access to visual information leads to more
independence for individuals who are blind or low vision,” said Suman
Kanuganti, chief executive officer, Aira. “We are really excited to see
this philosophy embraced by airports like CVG, expanding access and
enhancing the travel experience for those who are blind.”