[Ohio-talk] People with disabilities have the right to parent their children without interference.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Sat May 4 02:20:05 UTC 2019

Ohio, you can see that this problem that blind people have is not isolated.
We must get our parental rights bill in to law this year.
	People with disabilities have the right to parent their children
without interference.
	Having trouble viewing this email? Click here for the Web version
<http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1102805358698&ca=a263bfc5-
b009-4aec-87e2-01ca8be93640>

Her baby was taken from her
because of her disability. DRO filed a brief in support of her right to
parent.

Jenna, an independent woman with an intellectual disability, was excited
about being a new mother following the birth of her baby daughter. However,
while still in the hospital recovering from the delivery, child protective
services removed the baby from Jenna's custody and placed her with a foster
family. Jenna got only short, supervised visits with her because the child
protection system deemed her incapable of parenting due to her disability.
After more than a year of delays in the court system and without any
evidence or accusations of maltreatment, the magistrate decided that CPS
should maintain custody of Jenna's daughter. Jenna's Services and Supports
Administrator reached out to DRO for help.

DRO recognized the tremendous stakes involved when the government infringes
on a fundamental civil right -- the right to parent your own child without
interference. Working with Jenna's court-appointed attorney, DRO drafted an
amicus brief to inform the court of the unique issues involved when a parent
has a disability. The DRO brief documents the implicit bias and unfair
treatment parents with disabilities face once they are involved in child
protection systems. It also reminds the court that federal
anti-discrimination laws, such as Section 504 and the ADA, say that child
welfare proceedings and services cannot discriminate against parents based
on their disability.

As Jenna continues to fight to get her daughter back, DRO will support her
fundamental right to parent her child and fight to dispel the false
assumptions against parents with disabilities.

#AdvocacyMatters
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001-_VzvLRNEwF9qyUOLZi9-7MypPIk_sgUrJhvHFW8BN6P
TNplECB6wb8nX770P3pcGh2tRgFHxn1As1GevkdtRriNaWe26mbOvJYYzWC1oG-vNJHiw5gqU6Ld
relPbkKu9dedrN-U4kUy63u3sWIQ5uwkhDhyZVI0KyCiNpORQs1BJfw8a6VmoXQxgpejX0uP9VDv
LZ8ejy-mtxxbSIQYXQPfMThpviLrtSE1wHXfnz4=&c=D4T2Jr7y6AewudRzmxht5WKEhD1ZIdh7O
RZbMRzRJw3WuezRN_QJKA==&ch=6Ii77j6jHt2S3J72YKwRlelqgpr1DClvTjuAPecy16vIaShj3
tmchw==>

The mission of Disability Rights Ohio is to advocate for the human, civil
and legal rights of people with disabilities in Ohio.

Disability Rights Ohio on the Web

Keep up with disability-related issues on our website
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001-_VzvLRNEwF9qyUOLZi9-7MypPIk_sgUrJhvHFW8BN6P
TNplECB6wVzmzp8kvCTC12Sqyrd-slvoCiIqlCDJyGv_iDkOqZ69JEAyX3L7PpkjfrfL-F8j_tt-
NNH74kCj3qXfyfV2lOCJCtll2ZC4I5dXtUvb3i9egGAkU6JEKs-yiE4hzEE6Hw==&c=D4T2Jr7y6
AewudRzmxht5WKEhD1ZIdh7ORZbMRzRJw3WuezRN_QJKA==&ch=6Ii77j6jHt2S3J72YKwRlelqg
pr1DClvTjuAPecy16vIaShj3tmchw==> , Facebook page
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001-_VzvLRNEwF9qyUOLZi9-7MypPIk_sgUrJhvHFW8BN6P
TNplECB6wbPUUXWCap6k749K6jQ3xWznSmX5c0MjFzC89DfyzaWn_fsCgueA_kH3NGWKqcbvJf9S
Eqigzxmn6B8x4Pk1iQr8Zy3HTFFHOnRBkHiwrCI7mXr9jima2zoOei2dBGyoAef2SJ893h8TZDgX
JYEFyM4=&c=D4T2Jr7y6AewudRzmxht5WKEhD1ZIdh7ORZbMRzRJw3WuezRN_QJKA==&ch=6Ii77
j6jHt2S3J72YKwRlelqgpr1DClvTjuAPecy16vIaShj3tmchw==> , and Twitter feed
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001-_VzvLRNEwF9qyUOLZi9-7MypPIk_sgUrJhvHFW8BN6P
TNplECB6wYyZXXNZqh4zGBb9OhFYffK2iKJKRL9_UwELPYlywSlQJY6swSTGczlJZQ5zP0ApVf2O
sMhg4tnJzzW3jTmmWejKdv4givcL75A0g_N2u-LfUZyVJfQloUwLQNqPuDlX9T3LXh14I3_f&c=D
4T2Jr7y6AewudRzmxht5WKEhD1ZIdh7ORZbMRzRJw3WuezRN_QJKA==&ch=6Ii77j6jHt2S3J72Y
KwRlelqgpr1DClvTjuAPecy16vIaShj3tmchw==> !

Disability Rights Ohio, 200 Civic Center Drive, Suite 300, Columbus, OH
43215-4234

<https://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001YzZ-oLh3DaDx3Z1xMIptXw%3D%
3D&ch=bb78b950-066a-11e6-9a0c-d4ae52754dbc&ca=a263bfc5-b009-4aec-87e2-01ca8b
e93640>

sbrannan-smith at disabilityrightsohio.org
<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=kdwefcdab&m=1102805358698&ea=
rchpay7%40gmail.com&a=1132594114042>  | Update Profile
<https://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=001YzZ-oLh3DaDx3Z1xMIptXw%3D%
3D&ch=bb78b950-066a-11e6-9a0c-d4ae52754dbc&ca=a263bfc5-b009-4aec-87e2-01ca8b
e93640>  | About our service provider
<http://www.constantcontact.com/legal/service-provider?cc=about-service-prov
ider>

Sent by sbrannan at disabilityrightsohio.org