[Ohio-talk] What It Means to Walk with a White Cane

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Wed May 8 18:34:41 UTC 2019

Richard, thanks for sharing this.  This will help me in the future when
responding to the all so common, "So when you lose one sense, do all of the
others become stronger?" question that I get from sighted people all the
time.  I have also been asked if I am familiar with the kid who clicks his
tongue to determine his surroundings.  I usually just respond with, "sounds
silly, but if it works for him, whatever"; now I can provide a more
thought-provoking answer.  Sure, I still think his technique is silly, but
it's important to remember that he's at the age where he is feeling pressure
to fit in with his peers.  Plus, he just hasn't reached a point in his life
where he needs to be able to use the full abilities of his other senses and
benefit from the additional information that a white cane can provide.

Robby