[Ohio-talk] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 05/20/2019

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue May 21 22:09:07 UTC 2019

From: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:05 AM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 05/20/2019

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

As we come to the week before Memorial Day, I would like to begin by acknowledging the opportunities we have to pursue freedom due to the many individuals who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our nation. We also extend a thank you to the many active members of our organization who served in the military. I know many of our chapters and affiliates have events during the Memorial Day weekend, and I hope that everyone finds fellowship and joy among the reflections that come with this holiday.

Here are a couple of notes for you to consider. As you know, we have two more weeks until our convention registration closes. While rooms at the hotel are going fast, we have been able to expand our block of rooms slightly. Thus, you can encourage those waiting until the last minute that they still have a chance to get a room at the Mandalay Bay. Additionally, we have spoken with the hotel about the deposit that is taken during the initial check-in process on site. The hotel has agreed that those attending our convention will only be asked to put down a $200.00 deposit. This is far less than the hotel usually holds for events of our size. Please share this information with those who have previously been given other numbers.

I would also like each of you to consider carefully the weight that your communications carry. When a leader of one of our affiliates or divisions forwards an announcement, it carries the weight of your elected position. I think sometimes emails are forwarded without considering the weight that your name carries on the email. This is particularly true for companies/organizations that have an interest in our national convention and reaching our membership. Please be cautious about publicizing convention offers from exhibitors, vendors, or sponsors to our membership. We allow convention sponsors at some levels to access our membership. This is a valuable resource to vendors. If our leaders simply forward items, vendors will not pay for that value. If a vendor wishes to publicize a convention special or discount, they should reach out to Anna Adler <mailto:aadler at nfb.org>  to discuss a sponsorship of our convention. In addition, keep in mind that allowing organizations to use the affiliate's free exhibit table for the organization to sell their products, even if they are giving a percentage back, is not what was intended with giving free exhibit space to affiliates.

While we are on this topic, many of you have received an email from Vanna Rapeti about the problems with blind people being included in the entertainment industry. I believe her letter has been sent to every rehabilitation agency in the country. We are aware of her letter, which overlaps significantly with our #LetUsPlayUs campaign. I would encourage you to provide your thoughts to our Performing Arts Division so that we can continue to build our expertise and experience in support of our own campaign.

News:

Transformation to Competitive Employment Act Hearing:
The House Education and Labor Committee will hold a full committee hearing on the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act, H.R. 873, on Tuesday, May 21, 2019, at 10:15 a.m. in 2175 Rayburn House Office Building. This bill phases out Section 14(c) subminimum wage certificates over a six-year period while providing the funding, supports, and training necessary to change the infrastructure of outdated business models. It is critical that we build cosponsor support for this bill.

Parent Leadership Program:
The NFB’s National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC) seeks recommendations for our next Parent Leadership Program (PLP) to be held at the 2019 National Convention in Las Vegas.

We seek parents who show the commitment and leadership potential to found or strengthen a parents division in your state. To recommend one or more parents of blind children, please send names and contact information to Carol Castellano, secretary, National Organization of Parents of Blind Children, 973-377-0976,  <mailto:carol_castellano at verizon.net> carol_castellano at verizon.net, and we will send that parent an invitation to become a part of the PLP. We will also send invitations to parents from your state who participated in the PLP session at Washington Seminar this year. The NOPBC may be able to provide a small travel stipend for unreimbursed expenses for parents who need it.

To participate in PLP, parents will need to arrive in Las Vegas by Saturday, July 6, so that they can attend the NOPBC Seminar on Sunday, July 7, along with special PLP meetings, mentor matches, and other NOPBC and NFB events throughout the week.

We look forward to hearing about potential leaders from your state and will keep you informed as to who accepts the PLP invitation. Thanks so much for your assistance in identifying leaders!

Los Angeles County Discrimination Case:
We are supporting TRE Legal in their representation of a blind employee of Los Angeles County who has filed a suit alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act. Details can be found in our press release <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room> .

Membership Calls for Chapter Presidents:
The NFB Membership Committee invites and encourages all chapter presidents to one of our upcoming quarterly conference calls. Bringing in new members is one of our top priorities as an organization. The topic is building membership in our local chapters. We will discuss new ideas for attracting new members, programs and projects that have successfully brought new members to the Federation, and what to do when a new member visits for the first time. If you have organized and implemented an innovative program or activity that has been successful in building your chapter, please email us a description of the program, activity, or event  membership at nfb.org <mailto:membership at nfb.org> , and tell us about it.  You may find your strategy promoted on this call.

All chapter presidents are encouraged to attend one of the conference calls (all times eastern): Wednesday, May 29, 9:00 p.m., Friday, May 31, 6:00 p.m. ET, or Sunday, June 2, 4:00 p.m.

NFB-NEWSLINE Web News on Demand:
To learn about accessing NFB-NEWSLINE on the web, join us for our webinar on Thursday, May 23, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. We will cover topics such as enhanced search features, emailing articles on demand, accessing your favorite publications, TV listings, and more. To participate in the webinar, join the Zoom meeting on your computer or mobile device by following this link:

https://zoom.us/j/355350964

Or dial: 646-876-9923; webinar ID: 355350964

To minimize distractions, we will be using a system that will mute the participants.

Correction:

Corrected Dates:
There are two upcoming student seminars. The Southeast Student Seminar will be August 16-18, and the Pacific Student Seminar will be August 9-11. Registration opens May 15 for each of them. Contact Kathryn Webster (nabs.president at gmail.com <mailto:nabs.president at gmail.com> ) with questions.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	May 28, 2019:  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/accessibility-boutiques> Accessibility Boutique - Building a Culture of Accessibility in Your Organization, Online
*	May 31, 2019: Last day to preregister for  <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention> NFB National Convention
*	May 31, 2019: Last day to apply for  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/blindness-experience-teaching-internship> Blindness Experience Teaching Internship
*	June 16-22, 2019:  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/national-center-blind-youth-science> NFB EQ, Baltimore, Maryland
*	June 25, 2019:  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/accessibility-boutiques> Accessibility Boutique - Nonvisual Accessibility of G-Suite Products, Baltimore, Maryland
*	July 7-12, 2019:  <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention> NFB National Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada
*	February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>