[Ohio-talk] TAKE ACTION

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu May 23 12:14:16 UTC 2019

TAKE ACTION: Protect Disability Rights Ohio's Independence
May 21, 2019 / legislation
<https://www.disabilityrightsohio.org/news?topic=legislation>
call or email your state senator now
Ohio's budget is meant to make funding decisions, but instead, legislators
decided to include a provision that retaliates against and intimidates DRO
for its effective pursuit of the rights of people with disabilities. We work
to protect those rights, including the right to live free of abuse and
neglect, but now we need your help to maintain our independence and ability
to do that work without the state interfering!
The language in the bill creates a new joint legislative committee that
every two years would examine if a new entity should be designated as the
state's protection and advocacy system (P&A). DRO has held the designation
as Ohio's P&A since 1980, even as we transitioned out of state government in
2012 to be more independent. Federal law is clear: only the Governor has the
authority to make the designation under the close watch of federal
authorities. It does not give the Ohio General Assembly any power in this
area.
State P&As were established across the country after investigations into
state institutions found horrible conditions at Willowbrook in New York, and
Orient and Apple Creek in Ohio. Congress was determined that these types of
violations should never happen again. P&As are meant to be an independent
and vital protection against abuse and neglect against some of our country's
most vulnerable citizens.
Congress designed these systems to operate independently from the State in
attempt to avoid unfair pressure just like this proposal.
This provision has already passed the Ohio House. DRO and several supporters
provided testimony on May 16, asking the Senate to remove the language from
the bill. Read those testimonies:
*	Michael Kirkman
<https://www.disabilityrightsohio.org/assets/documents/dro_kirkman_testimony
_to_senate_finance_subcommittee_budget2019.pdf> , Executive Director of
Disability Rights Ohio
*	Walter Asbury
<https://www.disabilityrightsohio.org/assets/documents/walter_asbury_testimo
ny_statebudget2019.pdf> , Chair of DRO's PAIMI Advisory Council
*	Sue Willis
<https://www.disabilityrightsohio.org/assets/documents/sue_willis_senate_tes
timony_statebudget2019.pdf> , Member of DRO's Board of Directors
*	Shelbi Hindel
<https://www.disabilityrightsohio.org/assets/documents/shelbi_hindel_testimo
ny_statebudget2019.pdf> , DRO client
*	Rebecca Syner
<https://www.disabilityrightsohio.org/assets/documents/rebecca_syner_testimo
ny_statebudget2019.pdf> , Mother of DRO client Sarah Syner
As state Senators consider amendments to their budget bill, we need you to
tell them that now is the time to remove it. The amended bill is expected to
be released next week, with a vote soon after.
Call or email your state Senator to send a strong message. You can use the
scripts below as a starting point or craft your own. Your personal stories
are powerful, so be sure to share them.
FIND YOUR STATE SENATOR <http://www.ohiosenate.gov/senators/district-map>
What to say when you call
My name is _____ and I am calling as your constituent to ask you to please
remove section 5123.603 in the state budget because it could profoundly harm
the rights of people with disabilities in Ohio.
Disability Rights Ohio is a private nonprofit corporation that receives no
state dollars. No other private advocacy or legal organization is subject to
this type of review. In fact, DRO already reports to federal regulators. It
was the intent of Congress when they created organizations like DRO nearly
40 years ago that they be free from unfair state pressure.
DRO helps elevate the voice of self-advocates and gives individuals and
organizations a resource they need to be effective in their advocacy. They
have helped me with [insert your story].
I urge you to support people with disabilities and ask you to eliminate this
damaging provision from the state budget.
Thank you,
[Your name]
What to say when you email
As your constituent, I am writing to urge you to please remove section
5123.603 in the state budget that creates senseless legislative oversight of
a private nonprofit corporation, Disability Rights Ohio.
Disability Rights Ohio is an independent organization designated by the
governor, regulated by federal law as the Protection and Advocacy system and
Client Assistance Program in Ohio to investigate instances of abuse and
neglect and to protect the rights of people with disabilities. No other
private advocacy or legal organization is subject to this type of review.
DRO helps elevate the voice of self-advocates and gives individuals and
organizations a resource they need to be effective in their advocacy. They
have helped me fight for my rights as a person with disabilities / family
member by [insert your story].
Disability Rights Ohio has been an invaluable organization fighting for my
rights and those across Ohio. People with disabilities deserve an
independent voice to uphold laws and fight against discrimination, without
retaliation.
I urge you to support people with disabilities and ask you to eliminate this
damaging provision from the state budget.
Thank you,
[Insert your name]
[insert your address]
Thank you for your support of the critical work we do.

Richard Payne,  President
937-396-5573or 937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com
blindness is not what holds you back