[Ohio-Talk] Bell

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 02:03:09 UTC 2019

Let’s hear those sleigh bells ringing. Come on it’s lovely weather for a sleigh ride together. Wait stop. I am not talking about sleigh bells right now. I know the weather has us all confused right now. But I am talking about The Braille for Literacy and Learning Bell right now. The president said we are going to have anotherr Bell program in 2020, and the convention supported that idea. Now what are we going to do as an organization to make it happen?

The Salvation Army will still have its red kettles and the bell ringers out in force this holiday season. But Colleen, wait. They are adding technology. It will be possible to donate with a credit or debit card.

This is because people are no longer carrying cash the way they once did.

Just as most people can’t reach deep in to their pockets for cash, as individuals, chapters, and divisions we don’t have the money in our treasuries to support Bell the way we need to support it.

What can we do about that? 1.  Each chapter should come up with a fund raiser to support Bell. At least one fund raiser specifically dedicated to Bell would be great. If you do more all the better.

2.  If you have  worked with churches or other organizations to support Bell in the past, ask them to help again. Then find at least one other church or organization to help. Let us know how we can help you with this effort. We can help with presentations. We can help write letters and provide you with supporting documentation.
Every Bell program should be better than the one before. This is true not because it benefits me or Richard or any blind adult, but because it helps the kids.

We don’t have dates for next year’s program, but we know we are going to need money. I will do my part to see that we have the funds we need! Will you?

Eric