[Ohio-Talk] It's back!!! Honey Baked Ham Fundraiser!

Barbara Shaidnagle bshaid at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 21:00:52 UTC 2019

I don't want to be a downer about this. According to myfitnesspal a slice
of Honeybaked ham has 1020g of sodium and 55g of cholesterol.I remember
eating ham once and getting a terrible headache.  Have not touched it since.

I do not want to dissuade a fundraiser; merely passing on info for those
who have to watch certain dietary chemical elements.

I have asked the Louisiana crowd for years if they had salt free spices and
always answer was no.  I have never had the courage to suggest to them to
look into that.

This is the time of year diet watching goes out the window.  Joe and I at
home he was happy with a Butterball Turkey in a baking bag with the skin
left on the legs and bottom but removed elsewhere.  The bread stuffed bird
in a bag was always moist and delicious.  I made a side dish of combined
bread and cornbread dressing and that was all.  I am sure we had dessert of
some kind.  Anyone who remembers Joe knew he was a big eater but at home he
showed restraint.

Thanksgiving is a painful day for me.  Our last one, 2016, I had just put
the turkey in the oven.  Joe fell in the bedroom and could not get up.  I
tried but could not help him.  My sister and bro in law and nephew came and
suggested 911.  An ambulance came.  I turned off the oven and off we went.

The good thing to come out of that is that I discovered the turkey
continued to cook.  Later I put turkey and bread dressing in the freezer.
We ate on it after Christmas.  Joe went to rehab after the hospital.  The
rehab/nursing was having -- you guessed it -- ham for Christmas So we went
across the street to Shoney's and had their buffet.

Well I really only meant to talk about the ham.  Sorry.  Dr. Jernigan
always said we were family in the NFB so I just thought I would pass on
some healthy thoughts about cooking turkey.

And finally, I have the recipe for dressing a la Jernigan if anyone wants
it.  I also had occasion to give it to our Braille monitor editor; if you
have read the most recent Monitor you know why...