[Ohio-Talk] Message from Lou Ann Blake.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 19:19:23 UTC 2019

	Hello Richard,

I hope this email finds you well. I would appreciate it if you could post
the below announcement to the Ohio Association of Blind Students email list,
or any other Ohio affiliate email list you feel is appropriate. I will ask
Carlton Walker to post it to the NOPBC list. This research has been approved
by the NFB's research advisory council. Please feel free to contact me if
you have any questions. Thank you!

Lou Ann

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for
informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no
involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our
research mission.

Exciting Opportunity to participate in a Study (Up to a $50 gift card
reward)
Hello,
       As a student with a visual impairment, family member, or educator of
a student with a visual impairment, you are invited to participate in a
study. The research in which you are being asked to participate aims to
explore the mathematics learning experiences of students with visual
impairments and the perspectives of family members and educators regarding
their mathematics education in general education school settings across the
state of Ohio. For this study, I am looking for students with visual
impairments, family members (caregivers, parents or guardians), and
educators (mathematics teachers, paraprofessionals, itinerant personnel's,
resource room teachers, and teachers of visually impaired) as participants
(not necessary to be directly affiliated with one another). A brief
description of the participants' qualification, their role in the study,
confidentiality, and compensation is as follows:
Participant Qualifications
To be eligible to participate in this study, participants must meet the
following criteria:
Criteria for Students
*	Students must be visually impaired and 13-22 years old.
*	They must be enrolled in junior high school, high school, or
recently graduated (class of 2017 or later) from high school in the state of
Ohio.
Criteria for Family Members
*	Any family member (parent, caregiver, or guardian) who has a child
with a visual impairment and 13-22 years old.
*	The family member whose child must be currently enrolled in junior
high school, high school, or recently graduated (class of 2017 or later)
from high school in the state of Ohio.
Criteria for Educators
*	Educators (mathematics teachers, paraprofessionals, itinerant
personnel's, resource room teachers or teachers of visually impaired) must
currently be educating in middle or junior high school, high school, or
recently retired (2017 or later) from the department of education in the
state of Ohio.
*	Educators must have at least one year of teaching/working experience
in mathematics in general education with students who are visually impaired.

Participants Role in the Study
        As part of this research, participants will be asked to schedule
three phone interviews with me, sharing their personal stories, perceptions,
and experiences allowing me to hear their input regarding this topic. During
these interviews, I will use an open-ended approach to our discussion -
allowing participants time to reflect on their personal experiences and
thoughts. These interviews are intended to be in a conversational style
where participants will be encouraged to talk freely, sharing input that
they feel will be valuable to the study. At the end of the first interview,
participants may provide any supporting documents and materials (if
possible) that may be relevant to this study. I anticipate that each phone
interview will take approximately 30-50 minutes; however, it may be shorter
or longer, depending upon their responses. All interviews will be conducted
between September 2019 and March 2020.
Confidentiality
     A policy of strict confidentiality will be adhered to protect the
privacy of study participants. For this purpose, pseudonyms will be
assigned, and data will be recorded only with those pseudonyms. The obtained
information will not be shared in ways that allow for the identification of
individuals or school settings. Additionally, no identifying information
outside of the geographic region and demographic information about the
participants and their institutions will be shared.
Participant Compensation
     There is no cost implication to participate in this study. As a thank
you for participation, participants will be given a $15 gift card for each
interview and $5 gift card for providing any relevant documents at the end
of the first interview (in total up to a $50 reward).

If you are interested in participating in the study, please contact
me-Ishtiaq Ahmed at ahmed.552 at osu.edu <mailto:ahmed.552 at osu.edu>  or (614)
282-4197 with any questions or to enroll in the study.
Thank you and all the best,
Ishtiaq Ahmed

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Deputy Executive Director, Blindness Initiatives
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2221 | lblake at nfb.org <mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>