[Ohio-Talk] Reminders.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 00:24:50 UTC 2019

The 73rd National Federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBOH)
Annual State Conventionis here.

"Obstacles are Opportunities"  The NFB is  an instrument of change.

The NFB was founded on the guiding principles that blind people have an
inalienable right to independence, that blind people have equal capacity,
and that only blind people themselves can legitimately speak for the blind
community. These principles have continually permeated the membership and
structure of our ever-growing organization.

November 1 thru November 3RD, 2019

DOUBLETREE HOTEL COLUMBUS/WORTHINGTON,
175 HUTCHINSON AVENUE, COLUMBUS, OH 43235
(614) 885-3334

Well NFBO family, the weather is changing, and it is convention time. I must
say that this time of the year is my favorite, but the convention and the
holiday season makes it even better.

By now You should have already made arrangements for your room at the
DoubleTree hotel. If not,  let's get those reservations booked. The deadline
to make reservations for the rooms will be a "hard date" of October 11 2019.
That means you will find it easy to get a room, but our cutoff date is the
11 of October and they will charge you a tremendous amount more for a room.
Chapter presidents please help our members by encouraging and being
available as a resource

. Chapter Presidents and Division leaders, you should have by now submitted
1: your Gavel Reports, 2: Affiliate dues and 3: the name of who will serve
on the Nominating Committee. However, if you are not providing your report
to be considered for the Gavel Award,  you should have sent your report to
me.  Also, Eric and I should receive the name of who will serve on the
nominating committee. The fees for chapter and division dues, which is a
flat rate of $10 and $1 per member should   be sent to Sherry Ruth no later
than one week before the State Convention. Please take note of this, because
if your Chapter or Division is late,  there will be a fine of $25 as a
penalty charged; and your members will not have an opportunity to vote.

Moreover, the cutoff date for online Preregistration is October 24, 2019.
Therefore, Registration will begin and cost an additional $5 more, and box
lunches will not be sold on site at the convention. Incidentally, Sheri and
I will have a third meeting with the hotel this afternoon; in fact, it is
3:19PM right now and the meeting is at 3:30pm.

The Cleveland chapter had a great event this weekend and if you have been
paying attention to the emails you know all about it.  Eric and Shelli were
in attendance also, this gave us a look at some possible training
opportunities and motivated us even more. When new people lose sight, it is
very important that they come in touch with confident blind people. The
seminar was called "Adjusting to Blindness" An Introductory Seminar for the
Newly Blind. There were six sessions offered, the Introduction to the NFB
and its Philosophy, Braille Instruction, O&M, Assistive Devices,
Accessibility and Group Discussion. Also, I am aware of the work that the
Greater Akron chapter is accomplishing as well. They organized a fundraiser
that included NFB literature this weekend, and Dave and Pat tells me that it
was a success. That new chapter is moving fast! Do not tell them that I
admitted that, so they won't stop.

Sheri and her members have also been posting to the list with updates about
fundraising and their outreach seminar, which should be coming up as well.
The Cincinnati chapter continues to be a resource to many, and I cannot wait
to hear about new members and partnerships that were develop.

I know that the Columbus chapter and Springfield along with the Lorain
County and Miami  Valley Chapters also have made partnerships, welcomed
members and made efforts to spread the word in their communities as well.
The work of the Federation is ongoing, and I am proud of where Ohio is
moving with the efforts of providing education, mentorship and awareness
about "what it means to be blind". Soon and very soon, we will hear more
great news at the 2019 State of Ohio Convention. We are at our best when the
heart beet of the family is heard and in sink. The Nfb has always helped our
own. Moreover, you know that October is meet the blind month; so, it will be
great to hear all about the wonderful events that our family has kicked off.
We celebrate all over the world and demonstrate that we can work and play
along in society.

Just a reminder that the Community Service Committee is requesting that
everyone participate in their mission of providing community service. They
are providing a donation to the Ohio State School for the Blind. Please
bring hats, gloves, scarves, and or mittens. Red or Blue are the school
colors and sizes range from K through 12th grade. There will be a box for
you to drop these items in at the Convention.

One of the aspects of the Convention that I am excited about is having our
young people present. Our BELL kids and students and young adults'
attendance will be up this year. So, please ensure that our young people
have a great time. We want to assure the parents that we have activities for
all members of their family. Ohio, welcome, engage and orientate them
throughout the weekend.

The agenda is almost finished and unless we have unforeseen problems again
you should see it very soon. I know you have been waiting but remember that
the agenda is very important, but your attendance means so much. Together we
can mentor train and transfer dreams into reality. Stay tuned and let's keep
building the federation.

Richard Payne,  President
937-396-5573 or 937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com