[Ohio-Talk] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 04/13/2020

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 12:18:02 UTC 2020

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

I hope that everyone had a great weekend. It feels to me like the Federation is as busy as it has ever been despite social distancing and the inability to gather in person. I am working to make sure our team continues to bundle messaging to make it as easy as possible for Federation leaders to deal with the mountain of information that seems to come on a daily basis. If you have suggestions about what would be better, please let me know. You all are making a great difference. Thank you, keep it up, let me know what you need, and continue to share information with me.

Our 2020 National Convention change is obviously the biggest news. Well over five hundred people registered for the convention within forty-eight hours of our notice. Which of our affiliates will turn out the biggest delegation for our 2020 gathering? The registration numbers will be a race this year for this unprecedented opportunity to grow the reach of our organization. Many of you have already sent suggestions about the convention; thank you for being proactive. We know members have questions and many we may not be able to answer yet as the plans are coming together. Rest assured we will put together a great program, we will maximize participation as best we can using telephone and internet capabilities, and we will provide access to more convention gatherings than ever before. Plan on setting aside July 14-19 for this great event.

While I was working on this letter, I received the news that Brian Miller, a member from Virginia, passed away after a two-week battle with the coronavirus. I know many of you have known Brian and have been tracking his fight. I would invite you to raise a prayer for Brian and his family and friends who are hurting tonight. I would also ask you to send positive thoughts to so many other Federationists who are dealing with the impacts of the virus.

Please note some very important deadlines for April 15 and give them your urgent attention. I especially urge you to submit nominations for our Bolotin Awards.

And remember that we will have a national leadership call this Sunday with updates and an opportunity for you to share what is happening locally. We will resend the Zoom information out later this week.

Stay safe, keep building, and get ready for our best convention ever.

Critical Actions:

Scholarships:
Since Friday’s announcement sharing the decision to hold our convention remotely, quite a few people have reached out with questions regarding the 2020 scholarship program. Be assured, the National Federation of the Blind WILL award thirty students from all over the country with our prestigious merit-based scholarships this summer. Plans are already in the works to adjust the format of the program so that it can be best suited for the remote convention. An email was sent Friday to everyone who began a scholarship application, reassuring them that the program would be going ahead, if not exactly as originally planned, then in a way that is guaranteed to be dynamic, interactive, and in the spirit of excellence that has always characterized our scholarship process. State presidents, please help us guarantee the best possible scholarship class by sending in or uploading your presidents’ letters absolutely no later than April 15. The committee needs your input, so please reach out to applicants in your state. If your letters are ready, don’t wait! Send them in today.

Seeking Those Applying for SSDI Benefits:

We would like to speak with blind individuals who are currently applying for SSDI benefits. This matter is time sensitive. Please have such individuals contact Valerie Yingling at vyingling at nfb.org <mailto:vyingling at nfb.org>  or 410-659-9314, extension 2440.

News:

Sunday Night Leadership Discussion:

We will resume our regular Sunday night leadership gatherings on April 19, at 8:00 p.m. The Zoom information will be sent out separately later this week.

Presidential Releases:

I will be recording another Live Presidential Release on Friday, May 1, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. This will also be on the Zoom platform, and the connection information will be send out closer to the date of the release.

To access the recording or the English or Spanish transcripts of the April Presidential Release, go to https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases.

Register for National Convention:

Plan to attend the 2020 National Contention, July 14-19, from anywhere. The National Federation of the Blind will hold its national convention beginning July 14, 2020, with virtual events and local, in-person gatherings where appropriate. The convention was originally scheduled to take place in Houston, Texas. The change of plans is in response to the public health, safety, and logistical concerns raised by the COVID-19 pandemic. The official announcement was made last week <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-2020-convention-goes-virtual> . The National Federation of the Blind is delighted to connect blind Americans from anywhere to build opportunities everywhere. We look forward to spreading the 2020 view on blindness to the entire nation and beyond. Registration is now available at no cost. Register today <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention> .

Legislative Update:
Even in the midst of a national emergency, the advocacy work of the Federation cannot be stopped. As the world and our country adjust to the threat of the coronavirus and Congress passes new laws to ensure that life does go on, the National Federation of the Blind has the critical task of making sure the systems that get put into place are equal, fair, and above all, accessible. Just last week we sent two letters to this effect.

The first was a letter to the appropriate House and Senate Committees urging them to ensure the nonvisual accessibility of vote-by-mail systems <https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/files-pdf/vote-by-mail-letter.pdf>  that may be adopted for the upcoming state and federal elections. In this time of crisis, it is absolutely essential that we not lose focus on the idea that every American citizen deserves the right to cast a private and independent ballot. This is one of the core principles of our democracy, and it is a right protected by our Constitution.

The second was a letter to Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos <https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/files-pdf/letter-to-secretary-devos-re-cares-act-education-waivers.pdf>  urging her to note in her required report to Congress that waivers for the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act are not necessary. Waiving the requirements of this important legislation now would set blind and other disabled students back while their sighted and nondisabled peers continue learning in virtual classrooms. This is utterly unacceptable.

Additionally, we have worked hard to make sure we bring you the most up-to-date information on the legislation being passed in the coronavirus aid bills that may impact your daily lives. On our COVID-19 resources page <https://www.nfb.org/resources/covid-19-resources>  you can find important information on Economic Impact Payments <https://www.nfb.org/resources/covid-19-resources/cares-act-economic-impact-payments> , expanded unemployment insurance <https://www.nfb.org/resources/covid-19-resources/unemployment-insurance> , and a comprehensive list of state special education guidance for schools <https://www.nfb.org/resources/covid-19-resources/state-guidance-schools> .

Also, please be on the lookout for a legislative alert. The National Federation of the Blind is urging Congress to waive the five-month waiting period for SSDI benefits during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are also asking Congress to waive the associated twenty-four-month waiting period for Medicare. The waiver would be for all beneficiaries who are found eligible between March 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020. Additional details will be included in the legislative alert.

Upcoming Accessibility Boutiques: Zoom Meeting and Accessible Smart Home:

Accessibility boutiques are workshops presented by our access technology experts that provide introductions to accessibility best practices and the latest trends in access tech. Previously offered monthly, the National Federation of the Blind is now providing accessibility boutiques weekly. Here is what is scheduled for this week:

*         Tuesday, April 14, 2:00–3:30 p.m. eastern—How to Host a Zoom Meeting

*         Friday, April 17, 2:00–3:30 p.m. eastern—Tips and Tools for an Accessible Smart Home

Learn more about accessibility boutiques <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques>  and register today.

New Blog Post: Uber, Lyft, and Service Animals: The Discrimination Continues:

After three years of implementation and monitoring, the National Federation of the Blind’s settlement agreements with Uber and Lyft are set to expire this summer. Progress has been difficult to measure, and discrimination by rideshare drivers against travelers with service animals continues. Read the recent blog post on the three year report <https://www.nfb.org/blog/uber-lyft-and-service-animals-discrimination-continues>  and next steps. We are still requesting feedback on both successful rides and incidents of rideshare driver discrimination via the NFB’s Rideshare Survey <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/uber-and-lyft-survey> .

In fact, we are requesting that members with service animals who continue to be discriminated against by Uber drivers consider providing a signed statement regarding their experiences. Please contact Valerie Yingling at vyingling at nfb.org <mailto:vyingling at nfb.org>  by April 17 if you are able to help with this important next step in our effort to stop discrimination by Uber drivers. Learn more at https://www.nfb.org/rideshare.

Distance Education—Daily Activities Full of Fun and Learning:

The National Federation of the Blind is providing daily distance education resources from making pasta boxes to creating journals to asking questions about technology for distance education. Share the videos of how-to activities and story time. Join the upcoming live, interactive Zoom lessons this week and participate in the great activities. Learn more about the  <https://www.nfb.org/resources/distance-education-resources> distance education resources.

Kernel Books Series: Access Now:

The Kernel Books series is now available online. The National Federation of the Blind's thirty-book series highlights the stories of blind men and women, and goes beyond sentimentality and misconceptions—to the very "kernel" of blindness. The books share important messages delivered by witty authors who write about intriguing, yet every day, situations. These stories allow for great discussion during this time and are timeless. Access As the Twig Is Bent, Like Cats and Dogs, Wall-to-Wall Thanksgiving, and all of the Kernel Books <https://www.nfb.org/resources/jacobus-tenbroek-library/collections/kernel-books>  today.

Reminders:

Affiliate and Chapter Leader Training—Relationship Building:
We know that relationships are key to so much of what we do. Fundraising is all about relationships. Networking is key to greater advocacy and building public awareness. Marketing and communications improve when we have forged strong relationships.

As part of the National Federation of the Blind’s strategic plan, our leaders will share best practices, as well as receive training and tips regarding building and stewarding relationships. Join us on April 13, at 8:00 p.m. eastern, for this training. Participants will connect via conference call. Please reach out to Brie Darnall at bdarnall at nfb.org <mailto:bdarnall at nfb.org>  to sign up for one of the sessions offered. Better relationship management will improve fundraising, advocacy, marketing, and communications. Join other Federation leaders to share your ideas and to learn more.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	April 15: Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin>  application deadline
*	May 1: Distinguished Educator Award <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>  nomination deadline
*	July 14-19: NFB National Convention <https://www.nfb.org/convention> , remote!

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>