[Ohio-Talk] December announcements.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:52:14 UTC 2020

Dear NFB of Ohio,

Happy Holiday's!

As you celebrate this season, please take time to remember those Ohio
members and members across the country who are mending from illnesses,
separated from family and those who have lost loved ones. It is certainly a
different type of celebration, but we know that prayer and good thoughts
does change things, the heart and often life outcomes. Share a smile, share
a wave and share yourself with someone who may really need a laugh, a card
or a brief phone call to say I love you! It is the little things that mean
so much more.

    Ohio, we have had a great year despite several life changing
circumstances. We are still standing and doing the work of the federation. I
am so grateful; as I reflect on the good things about this year. We must
find a way to get ready to embrace the new year ahead. While it is hard to
think beyond all the tragic events, we must keep our faith. This year has
been one for the record books and I can only look forward to the holidays
and a new year that holds great promise. The leadership of the Ohio
affiliate has been very active. I know sometimes it may appear that we have
slowed down, but several members work very hard to keep us quite involved,
engaged and prepared. I would like to thank the Ohio Executive Board of
Directors  and leaders, who  do so much to keep this Affiliate conscious,
resilient and relevant. So, thank you!

I would like to ask all our Chapter and Divisions to work harder to get
members more involved. Presidents and Chairs,  you can assist me and the
other leaders by helping us to identify new upcoming leaders. It would be
wonderful, if We had the time and resources to spend a moment to meet young
and new leaders across the state. However, this is why it is important that
you get them in touch with potential mentors so we may help to grow their
knowledge of the NFB'S philosophy, mission and purpose. You as a President
and Chair are role models for your members. They must observe and have your
support, leadership and participation during critical aspects and events.

The 2021 Ohio State Committees still have open spots for members to serve at
this level. Ohio need new and innovative ideas, so please get your request
in soon because on the 15 I would like to finalize the list of appointments
for the new year.  Members should be dedicated to the work of the Affiliate
and to be involved with the Committees is a good way to do your part and
also learn.

Since I mentioned about Committees, I want  to address in person meetings.
At this time, it is still strongly advised to have no in person meetings and
leaders should continue to do all that they can to keep the members safe,
protected and aware about Covid-19.

Barbra Pierce who is the editor for the Ohio Buckeye Newsletter, sent out a
message reminding us about submitting articles, recipes and brief updates to
be published in the newsletter. Please consider submitting content in order
to keep the membership up-to-date on the happenings. If you have not already
reached out to her, please do so soon.

As a warning, Several Affiliate Board members including myself have received
"fishing emails and texts" proposing to be me or another board member. You
should always check the email that the message is sent, and understand that
we will never ask you to purchase gift cards or send monitary funds outside
of the business of the federation. I have served as President at several
levels for many years and never requested members to cash app or send me
gift cards. So you can rest assure that this leadership will not make this a
practice.

Ohio, I would like to direct your attention to the Ohio website. Please
visit and become familiar. This platform has essential information for our
community partners, newly blind individuals, educational institutions and
others. It has been modernized and is continually being updated to reflect
the work that the NFB does nationally and in Ohio. Go to WWW.NFBOhio.ORG and
view.

On behalf of the Ohio Affiliate, I would like to welcome Suzanne Turner,
Todd Elzey and Marianne Denning.  to the Board of Directors. All three were
elected at the Ohio State Convention and will serve for two years.
Congratulations! I am looking forward to working with you!

Below is an important message from the 2021 Ohio Legislative Chair, Eric
Duffy.

Please read on!

As I believe everyone knows by now, the 2021 Washington Seminar will be
conducted virtually. The great gathering in will be on February 8. We should
be able to schedule all Ohio appointments for February 9.

We don't have to make hotel reservations or travel arrangements, but we do
need to know who plans to participate in the 2021 Washington Seminar.
Although we want as many people from Ohio as we can have to be involved, we
must have a committed group of participants.  This means You will have to
set aside time to learn about the issues, participate in the great gathering
in on February 8, and participate in appointments on February 9.

If you are interested in participating and can make the commitment,
President Payne and I need to hear from you by the close of business on
Friday, January 8, 2021. Presidents, please talk to your membership about
this opportunity as soon as possible.

We also need you to invite your state representatives and Senators to
meetings next year. We need to talk with them about our parental rights and
accessible prescription labeling bills respectively. We have yet to
determine what we are doing with respect to service animal legislation.  But
the legislative committee will help you prepare for meetings. They should be
willing to meet by Zoom or conference call. Please let us know when these
meetings are scheduled.

Thanks.

Eric

Attention! Attention! Attention!

All Ohio members are strongly advised to attend this event!

National federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBO)

Offers

Leadership and Networking Training

Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 6:30 PM EDT.

The purpose of this opportunity is to offer members training on the value of
leadership, networking and performing at a higher level; within and outside
of the National Federation of the Blind that will foster opportunity, create
innovation and  get results. The year of 2020 has proven that organizations
must be flexible, adaptable  and have a clear plan in order to stay
relevant. Therefore, we must improve our skills, as well as our overall
performance in the Ohio Affiliate. Thus, personal success is linked to
organizational success. This is why we hope such an endeavor will be
encouraging to those who want to grow, excel and have an open line of
communication to NFB professionals who will present on various topics that
are indicated in the below agenda.

Agenda

6:30 PM - Welcome

Richard Payne, Affiliate President; NFB of Ohio

6:35 PM - Taking the Ohio Affiliate to a higher level of performance.

Suzanne Turner, Affiliate Vice President; NFB of Ohio

6:40 PM - Developing A Leadership Plan and Building Accountability

Everette Bacon, Affiliate President; NFB of Utah and Member of the National
Board of Directors

7:00 PM - Networking, Public Speaking, Advocacy and Emotional Intelligence

Joe Ruffalo, President Emeritus; NFB of New Jersey and Member of the
National Board of Directors

7:20 PM - The Importance of Effective Writing and Email protocols

Gary Wunder, Editor; NFB Brail Monitor and Former Member of the National
Board of Directors

7:40 PM - Organizational Culture and The Value of a High Performing
Affiliate

Ryan Strunk, Affiliate President; NFB of Minnesota

8:00 PM - Additional Q/A

8:15 PM - Final Remarks

Join Zoom Meeting

 <https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> https://zoom.us/j/4081850851 <
<https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> One tap mobile

+16468769923,,4081850851#

+1 646 876 9923

Meeting ID: 408 185 0851

Code of Conduct

On an annual basis, and sometimes more frequently, the board of directors
examines the National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct and makes
revisions based upon feedback we receive, thoughts of how best to implement
the code on a practical and operational basis, and best practices that
emerge in other organizations. On December 5, 2020, the board approved
revisions that are now reflected on the code of conduct page
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct>
https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct.

The current revisions clean up some language, tighten up the application of
this policy to employees and contractors of the organization, and emphasize
the multiple ways that grievances might be filed and dealt with by the
leadership in consultation with the Code of Conduct Committee.

I strongly urge you to read this update to ensure you completely understand
it. We have a call for all affiliate presidents on December 17. If any of
this is not clear or you have any questions, please send them in advance of
that call, if you can, and we will make sure they are addressed on the call.
I also urge you to share the link with your boards and chapter and division
leaders so they can refresh themselves on the code.

Please remember these things about our code of conduct.

*	While affiliates are asked to carry out the work of the movement
consistent with this code to create the most welcoming and inclusive
environment possible, some people may still feel uncomfortable bringing
issues to the leadership of a given affiliate. Under no circumstances should
anyone be discouraged from reporting potential violations through the
national code of conduct process.
*	Leaders of the Federation should never discourage individuals from
involving law enforcement when they feel that is appropriate and necessary.
*	Federation leaders should recognize that certain situations, such as
potential violations related to minors, may require mandatory reporting to
law enforcement in your state. When in doubt, please contact the national
Code of Conduct Committee for assistance at coc at nfb.org <mailto:coc at nfb.org>
, or by calling our dedicated voicemail box at 410-659-9314, extension 2475.

*	Federation leaders must take extra care to ensure that all members
understand the importance of the code and the ability of members to file
grievances. When Federation leaders take actions like making jokes about
what is or is not a violation of the code of conduct, it creates the
perception that issues are not taken seriously. Please be a strong example
of what is intended by the code and ensure that your words, as well as your
actions, reflect the values of our movement and our code of conduct.
Moreover, the code of conduct should never be used as a weapon to advance
personal agendas or settle scores with other members.

In the next month, the code of conduct page will be updated with a
Frequently Asked Questions page to address questions about the code, the
process of investigations, and the priority of keeping information
confidential to protect those who may have been harmed by the actions of
others. If there are questions you often answer about the code, please send
them to our code of conduct email address so we can incorporate them. And if
you have recommendations regarding tools or other training that would help
you more effectively reinforce and reflect the organization's code of
conduct, please send those to  <mailto:coc at nfb.org> coc at nfb.org.

Critical Actions:

Who Loves Santa Letters?:

Just a reminder that this is the last full week to request a Braille letter
from Santa Claus. Being Santa's honorary elves is such an honor, and we love
helping him send letters and activities in Braille to young children across
the United States. December 16 will be your last chance to request a letter
at  <http://www.nfb.org/santa-letters> http://www.nfb.org/santa-letters. The
form can also be printed and faxed to 410-685-2340 or emailed to
<mailto:communityrelations at nfb.org> communityrelations at nfb.org. Please get
your child, grandchild, or student a Braille letter from Santa and see the
delight in their eyes.
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-let
ters> Learn more about Santa Letters.

News:

Blind Students' Rights to Independence, Training, and Education Act-State
Model Bill:

We are excited to unveil our newest piece of model state legislation, the
Blind Students' Rights to Independence, Training, and Education (BRITE) Act.
This would ensure that blind students receive adequate instruction and
become proficient in the use of Braille, access technology, and orientation
and mobility skills, as well as requiring school districts to offer
instruction in these areas outside of school hours. The model bill has been
posted
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/2020-12/Model%20Blind%20Student
s%20Rights%20to%20Independence%20Training%20and%20Education%20Act.pdf> on
our website. If you have questions about the model bill, or if your state is
interested in pursuing this legislation during your upcoming legislative
sessions, please contact Stephanie Flynt by email at
<mailto:sflynt at nfb.org> sflynt at nfb.org or by phone at 410-659-9314,
extension 2210.

Independence Market Holiday Hours

The Independence Market will be closed starting at 5:00 p.m. eastern on
Wednesday, December 23, and will not reopen until Monday, January 4, at 8:00
a.m. eastern to give our hard-working staff time to enjoy the holidays with
family. Don't forget to place your order for our accessible measuring cups
or Braille UNOR cards so you can still do all your tasty holiday baking and
have fun with family! Don't delay, order today!

New Nation's Blind Podcast Episode-"Deafblind and Living the Lives They
Want":

In this episode of the Nation's Blind Podcast, Anil Lewis and Chris
Danielsen talk with Alice Eaddy, president of the
<http://nfbdeaf-blind.org/> Deafblind Division of the National Federation of
the Blind, and Marsha Drenth, the division's first vice-president.
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast>
Access the Nation's Blind Podcast now.

Open-House Gathering-Share with Prospective Members:

On Sunday, December 13, at 8:00 p.m. eastern, the National Federation of the
Blind is hosting an open-house gathering for people to learn about becoming
members of the Federation. Share with prospective members this opportunity
to learn more from leaders about the Federation and why membership is
crucial. Sign up by emailing  <mailto:membership at nfb.org> membership at nfb.org
or calling 410-659-9314, extension 2509.

Accessibility Boutique:

The National Federation of the Blind is hosting an accessibility boutique
that will cover accessible smart home products. The boutique will be held on
Tuesday, December 15, 2:00-3:30 p.m. eastern, via Zoom. Smart home products
are designed to help control items in your home, from security to
entertainment. Take advantage of this free opportunity to learn the latest
tips and tools.
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/tr
ainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
Register for the Smart Home Accessibility Boutique today.

Upcoming Event-Smart Cities Summit:

The National Federation of the Blind Smart Cities Summit is a one-day online
event on Thursday, January 28, 2021. The goal is to bring policymakers and
technology developers together to collaborate and create accessible
infrastructure for smart cities. Review the agenda and
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/tr
ainings/smart-cities-summit> register for the Smart Cities Summit today!

Scholarship Program-Start Applications Now:

Every year, the National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000
to blind scholars across the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and
Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and professional
aspirations. Each scholarship winner is awarded based on their academic
excellence, community service, and leadership. The application process is
open and we encourage students to start the process now. Review the
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-p
rogram/scholarship-program-application-checklist> scholarship application
checklist and the
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-p
rogram/scholarship-program-faqs> scholarship program FAQs. Share this
opportunity that invests in the future of blind people. Learn about the
eligibility and requirements of the
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-p
rogram> 2021 scholarship program and start the application process now.

Still Time to Register for Braille Readers Are Leaders-A Contest for
Children and Adults:

This contest is designed to encourage the contestants to read more Braille,
helping them to improve their reading skills and win prizes. The National
Federation of the Blind is partnering with the American Action Fund for
Blind Children and Adults to present the 2020-2021 Braille Readers Are
Leaders contest to encourage Braille literacy and reading for pleasure.
Children and adults across the United States compete against their
same-grade peers to read the most Braille pages between December 1, 2020,
through January 18, 2021. Registration is still open. Learn more about the
<https://www.actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders> Braille
Readers Are Leaders contest.

Braille Readers Are Leaders Solidarity Challenge:

In a recent conversation, Anil Lewis and Everette Bacon both acknowledged
that they simply do not take the time to read Braille on a regular basis to
improve their Braille skills. Recognizing that he is not the most
competitive person, Anil offers this solidarity challenge for likeminded
leaders in the Federation to join him in participating in the upcoming
Braille Readers Are Leaders program. The only prize he is striving to
receive is a renewed commitment to improving his Braille skills. He has
registered for the program, and challenges other leaders in the Federation
to join with him in solidarity to achieve the same goal.
<https://www.actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders>
https://www.actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	December 13: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern

*	December 15-17: Dare to Be Remarkable, 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. eastern
*	January 4: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	January 18: Braille Readers Are Leaders
<https://actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders>  registration
(and page count) deadline
*	January 28: Smart Cities Summit
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/tr
ainings/smart-cities-summit> , 12:00-8:00 p.m. eastern
*	February 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	February 8: Washington Seminar
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar>  Great
Gathering-In
*	March 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium

March 31:
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-p
rogram/scholarship-program-application-checklist> Scholarship application

Richard Payne,  President

937/829/3368

 <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com> Rchpay7 at gmail.com

blindness is not what holds you back.