[Ohio-Talk] Update for February 2020

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 19:09:53 UTC 2020

I hope all of you have been enjoying the new year, I cannot tell that spring
is right around the corner but that is what I have been told. This  reminds
me that we should be springing out and blooming with the activities of the
federation. I am very concerned that the affiliate is not growing
consistently we should be making it a priority to bring in new members.
I wish to remind chapters and divisions that you were requested to send me
an updated membership list using the new connection template that you have
been provided. Currently we only have half of the chapters and one division
list we have to get them back to the national very soon so if you would step
up your efforts and get those list to me this week it would be greatly
appreciated.

 We have some student's that will be attending the Midwest student seminar
in Chicago Illinois this is great for two reasons, they will learn and bring
information back to the Ohio Students division. This is also great because
OOD agreed to help spread the word and assist with the cost for them to
attend. The partnership between the Nfb of Ohio and OOD continues to grow
stronger. You should understand that advocating for our rights and issues
will always be at the forefront of what ever we do and hopefully those who
will be attending this event will become people that will help to grow the
affiliate.

You should know that the assistance to help people to attend the national
convention is still available, but the cutoff date is February 29th. I would
like to thank the board of directors for being willing to assist people to
attend but it is very  important that chapters and divisions do what you can
to help people.   I have heard that people keep getting assistance, but we
understand that this is a  special convention and the  time where  members
can network with thousands of other blind members. The conventions give our
members the chance to meet other leaders and is one of the largest events
that we put on in order to train and minter others. We understand that
especially for first timers the convention can be a life changing event. I
can remember several of the conventions that I have been able to attend and
until this day the gavel falling at the beginning and at the end of the
convention gives me  motivation. This  helps to remind me of all the great
work that is done on the local level.

The 74th Annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
(NFBOH)

"The Vision Beyond Vision"

Date: Friday, November 6th through Sunday, November 8th, 2020

Location: Crowne Plaza/Dayton Hotel, 33 E. 5th Street, Dayton, Ohio    45402

You should have already been thinking about how to get more involved in this
convention even more than that if you have items that should be consider for
the convention then email that directly to me off list. I may not use the
information for the convention, but it may serve to assist us in building
other opportunities.

We have several Fundraising projects going on at this time and  you should
pay attention to the listserv for more information. The fundraising that we
do supports   all of  our activities  doing the year. We must always find
ways to  constantly fund the work of the federation at all levels.

Our legislation also helps to shape the lives of blind Ohioans and it is
very important that you do your parts. We have decided that on April 6-7th
we will be having our Columbus seminar and leaders we are asking that you
step up and find a way to attend yourselves. It is not enough to just tell
others, but leaders are out front. I have a full-time job and always use
vacation and other time off to do the work of the federation like others do
also. We need to know very soon who will be attending and what arrangements
you have made or need us to help you with. This should be at the top of our
agendas Eric will be sending out more information and I am sure that we will
be having some calls about the seminar.
You will be hearing more about the 2020 Bell Academy very soon. We have
tentative dates and hope they will be confirmed this week. Leaders, you know
what the academy is and how it changes lives for children and adults. I hope
you are preparing to support this program financially, and that you will
help us spread the word and recruit students when that time comes.
 I could write more but with my two full time jobs work is calling. I know
you can reach me let's do more to build the federation.

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com
blindness is not what holds you back