[Ohio-Talk] Buckeye Update for June 2020

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 00:54:00 UTC 2020

Buckeye Update for June 2020

Richard Payne, President

(937) 829-3368

 <mailto:RchPay7 at gmail.com> RchPay7 at gmail.com

While I sit here in my home office the reality of current events is weighing
very heavy on my heart.  It has finally hit me because of the events
happening around the world, we will also have no in person national
convention and currently we are forth in registration, but how ever we will
return to that topic later.

As we are contemplating on the 2020 Ohio State Convention, we started out
running with a successful Washington seminar, along With the Columbus
seminar scheduled and ready to advocate at the State Capitol. Then abruptly
we had to cancel the Columbus seminar, which also was a disappointment. We
will always wonder if by now if the Parental Rights Bill would be enacted
into law. Nevertheless, I want to encourage you to continue to answer the
call when you are requested upon to make phone calls and emails to national
and state officials. Not only that, the national Office has decided to do an
inhouse edition of the BELL Program, which we are currently assisting where
we can. But, the canceling of the Ohio BELL Program for this year has been
crushing to say the least. Again, I am confident that we will have a program
next year and it will be even better. No one can tell what the rest of this
year will look like, although I remain positive and you do the same.

We would like to thank all of you that have taken a part in keeping our
membership uplifted with events and for all the planning that goes in to
having our membership engaged. We can be happy that Ohio continues to be
recognized for the informative Zoom meetings and our unwavering
participation with neighboring affiliates. if you have not participated with
Ohio's daily "Breakfast Check-In Call or the weekly Ohio Happy Hour Call", I
encourage you to do so. I have joined in a number of times and members are
emotionally and socially connecting  with one another. So call into the zoom
events and join in on the fun and stimulating topics.

Note!

At this time, Ohio should still be meeting virtually via conference call or
by zoom until further notice if you are considering any face to face
meetings doing  June contact me before having that event. We understand that
remaining at home can be isolating. However, consider participating with
events across the nation with fellow federationist. The states of Colorado,
Pennsylvania, New York, California and others have wonderful opportunities
to learn about almost everything you can think of, from operating Alexa to
keeping fit. We also recognize that many people in the world which includes
our membership deal daily with Living with depression, anxiety, bipolar
disorder, PTSD and other mental health conditions which can pose a challenge
even in normal times. We must face another reality that this is not normal
times Especially Since COVID-19 came along. For several months now, it is
added a new twist to life with a mental illness and other conditions. The
inability to see a trusted therapist in person. Added stress about jobs,
whether losing one, having to work in public despite the risk of getting
sick, or having to adapt to working from home. Many of our people have extra
worries about getting medication refills on time or being able to pay for
them. Uncertainty about the future. This brings about Challenges that are
traumatic enough for Americans without mental health conditions can be
doubly. So for those who have such conditions - whether they are diagnosed
or not. My heart is with the world but deeply troubled for blind people that
face the extra obstacles that are created by the current situation or
systematic problems.

If you are having difficulty or in need of counseling, please contact your
primary care physician or 211 to seek help.

During the period from the end of World War II until the late 1960s, often
referred to as America's "Second Reconstruction," the nation began to
correct civil and human rights abuses that had lingered in American society
for a century. A grassroots civil rights movement coupled with gradual but
progressive actions by Presidents, the federal courts, and Congress
eventually provided more complete political rights for African Americans and
began to redress longstanding economic and social inequities. While African
American Members of Congress from this era played prominent roles in
advocating for reform, it was largely the efforts of everyday Americans who
protested segregation that prodded a reluctant Congress to pass landmark
civil rights legislation in the 1960s.

You should have read President Riccobono's "Open Letter" by now. I think it
speaks to the bond that the federation membership has for one another.
People have said that blind people see no color but that would not make us
human. One of our presidents once said that "we know who we are: and to me
this also means that blind people understand the diversity  of society.

I serve on the Diversity-and-Inclusion Committee and two nights ago, we had
a conversation that led to discussions about how to keep the mission and
purpose of the federation in perspective, but allow for our members to deal
with the suffering across the nation. We were able to identify some good
points but even with this, as an African American leader in the federation
questions have been asked of me. And, no matter how tough they  are, we will
deal with them accordingly. Also, it is noteworthy to recognize that these
were not just questions or concerns from African American members. I think
that generally if we focus on being respectful to each other and being a
comfort to each other through the exceedingly difficult times, Ohio and our
nation will remain strong. This is in no way to diminish or deplete the
facts but to let you know that the NFB cares and we will get through this
together.  You all have the right to your feelings and from time to time we
all will view events differently. The bond that we share will always remain
and help to strengthen the membership.

Reminders:

Our rideshare partners at Lyft are providing us with additional general
coupons worth $25 per user. The code is being made available for use through
July 1. It should be used to assist our members or any other blind person in
your affiliate who you feel would benefit from this assistance.

using the $25 value until July 1, 2020 for essential services. These rides
may include the following, subject to local guidance:

*	Rides to "essential services" as deemed by your locality (such as
grocery store, food bank, pharmacy, hardware store)
*	Rides for families/caregivers/social workers to deliver needed
supplies or services for homebound and/or self-isolating people (such as
older adults)

Rides for families/caregivers/social workers to deliver needed supplies or
services for homebound and/or self-isolating people (such as older adults)

*	Rides for senior citizens and other individuals to health
appointments
*	Rides for senior citizens to go shopping during seniors-only
shopping hours at a grocery store

Limited quantity available. Max one redemption per user. Valid for rides
through July 1, 2020. Cannot be combined with other ride credits or offers.
Subject to
<https://slack-redir.net/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lyft.com%2Fterms> Lyft's
Terms of Service. All riders are asked to stay home if they are sick, and
should work with a medical professional to discuss transportation options if
they need to see a doctor. Per the CDC, anyone who suspects they may have or
is diagnosed with COVID-19 should not use ridesharing.

In order to use the code,:

a.	download and install the Lyft mobile application ("Lyft App") on a
compatible mobile device
b.	create and maintain an active Lyft account, including agreeing to
Lyft's Terms of Service.
c.	successfully redeem the code in the Rider's Lyft App
d.	take a standard ride on the Lyft App

(Note: for a ride taken by a rider that exceeds the amount of the Lyft code,
Lyft will charge the rider's personal payment method on file for the
remaining cost of the ride.)

/

We received a Request for Feedback by June 10: Accessing Media &
NFB-NEWSLINE

National Federation of the Blind programs and services are constantly
evolving and improving thanks to valuable input from the blindness
community. As part of our effort to optimize our free NFB-NEWSLINER service,
we are partnering with Deloitte Consulting LLP to gather insights from
subscribers and non-subscribers alike on their preferences for accessing
news media. We are calling on all blind Americans to complete a brief
ten-minute survey on their media consumption and use of NFB-NEWSLINER. All
will be collected unless you voluntarily provide it. Access the survey at:
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=17139&qid=3719823>
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/nfbnewsline.

The survey will be open through Wednesday, June 10, 2020. If you have any
questions about the survey or prefer completing the survey over the
telephone, please reach out to Sophie Lehrenbaum by phone at 202-365-7605
anytime between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. ET Tuesday through Thursday or email
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=17148&qid=3719823>
slehrenbaum at deloitte.com.

Thank you for your participation.

Considering the ongoing impact and wide-ranging effects of the COVID-19
pandemic, the 2020 National Convention will be held virtually for the first
time.

Join us as we celebrate NFB's eightieth anniversary and expand our circle of
participation, connecting blind Americans from coast to coast for what we
expect to be the largest gathering of blind people in history.

*The 2020 National Convention was originally scheduled to take place in
Houston, Texas at the Hilton Americas-Houston.

How to Participate

The agenda for the 2020 National Convention will feature most of the
elements our members know and love, with some new twists. There will be
multiple ways to participate in and interact with all convention events,
from video conferencing to phone access. Plus, as local conditions permit,
NFB affiliates will organize in-person gatherings in conjunction with
sessions being held at the national level to enhance the convention
experience.

Registration

Members are requested and non-members are invited to register at no cost in
order to get access to exclusive offers, convention announcements, door
prizes, and other exciting content.

 <https://www.nfb.org/registration> Register online today for the 2020
National Convention.

Registration will close Monday, June 15, so please register before then.

*Operating the national convention virtually still costs money. While
registration is free,  <https://www.nfb.org/donate> we welcome and encourage
donations to support our ongoing work to protect the rights of all blind
Americans.

*If you previously registered for the 2020 National Convention, either
online or through the mail, you will be contacted about your registration
fees and banquet ticket purchases.

*If you wish to mail in your registration, please use this
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/files-pdf/2020-convention-regis
tration.pdf> accessible PDF registration form.

This year, affiliates and national divisions along with chapters and
individual members are asked to send their fund donations directly to the
national organization in Baltimore, Maryland. Below is the process to notify
us of your donation or pledge and how and where to send the checks.

1.	Presidents will send their treasurers an authorization to issue
payment. Below is template authorization text that can be used. Presidents
should clearly identify each fund and the amount to be given to that fund.
The NFB funds are the Kenneth Jernigan Fund (KJ Fund), the SUN Fund, and the
White Cane Fund. The JtB fund is the tenBroek Fund (JtB).

June 3, 2020

Dear Leaders of the National Federation of the Blind:

This letter is to advise you on policies of the National Federation of the
Blind. Specifically, this letter relates to membership dues of the
organization at all levels. To get directly to the point, membership dues
are a requirement of the Constitution as set forth by the Convention and
cannot be waived by a leader or board of a chapter, division, or affiliate.

The board of directors of the National Federation of the Blind has discussed
this issue based on learning that some entities within the Federation have
announced the waiving of membership dues for 2020. While the leadership
appreciates the gesture of providing economic relief for members, this is
one area that can never be compromised. Membership dues are an important way
to distinguish members from non-members. The Federation membership structure
has been established by the national Convention, and the Convention has
given the national board authority to govern matters related to setting
membership policies. Article III of the national constitution sets forth the
outline of these matters. By extension, the board is responsible for
certification of affiliation of all entities, and therefore all members,
under the Federation structure.

The board of directors wishes to emphasize that membership dues are not
intended to be a mechanism for fundraising-annual dues are intentionally
kept very low. The notion of some blind people having economic difficulty is
not new. Many Federation members have personally assisted other blind people
who did not have the means to pay dues to the organization. One example are
the student divisions where the participants frequently have very few
resources. Even in those cases, each individual has to present dues to the
organization to be a member or to renew their membership for the year. A
general waiver of dues suggests that people need to simply say they wish to
be a member, and this makes it so. That is not the standard we have approved
in our organization.

We urge all chapters, divisions, and affiliates to continue to manage the
process of membership with the same degree of care and openness that we have
in the past. We want to welcome people of diverse backgrounds into our
organization. We want to make it easy for blind people to know about
membership and to join with us. We also want to make sure our onboarding
process and standards are maintained. Membership in our movement is a
conscious decision that blind people make. Members of the movement have
always found the resources to support other individuals in joining the
organization. We need to maintain both the intent of our national policies
and the spirit of generosity inherent in our movement.

Please take this opportunity to clarify membership policies within the
Federation and your communications. If you have accepted individuals as
members who have not paid dues, we call upon you to correct this practice
immediately. If you have any questions about this matter, please let me
know. We understand the intent behind these actions, and we regret the
confusion. Please continue to coordinate membership-related matters with our
national organization and continue to find ways, within our policies, to
build the movement. Thank you for your work.

Zoom Meetings for June 8th thru June 11th, 2020

Monday, June 8, 2020

5:00PM to 6:30PM EDT. - " Loving Through A Window"

Join NFB of Ohio for a transparent and honest conversation on "Loving
Through A Window". This heartfelt discussion will address social distancing
experiences between adults and children during the pandemic. As visitations
are limited, emotions are strained because of little physical interactions.
Thus, that hug and embrace from your little one or a face-to-face
conversation with a parent or grandparent who is in a nursing home is
missed.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

6:30PM EDT. - Community Involvement and Advocacy

How do you engage members, communities, and other entities? This question
will be answered by Libra Robinson, CEO of Insight VIP Services for the
Blind and Visually Impaired and a recipient of the Jacob Bolotin Award,
Adelmo Vigil, National Board Member and New Mexico Affiliate president, Lee
Martin, NFB Newsline Indiana  Coordinator and recipient of the MLK Jr.
Freedom Award and Suzanne Turner, CEO of Disability Movement, Co-Host of the
Aware Radio Program  and the Ohio Affiliate Vice President.

Thursday, June 11, 2020

7:00PM EDT. - Happy Hour is just in time for Father's Day!

Did your Dad, Granddad or Uncle  sing along with Marvin Gaye, Frank Sinatra
or  make  an original brand of Jazz? We want to hear all about it! So come
and "doo wop, doo wop!

Join Zoom Meeting

 <https://zoom.us/j/4081850851> https://zoom.us/j/4081850851

Meeting ID: 408 185 0851

One tap mobile

+16468769923,,4081850851# US (New York)

+13017158592,,4081850851# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)