[Ohio-Talk] My letter to Seth Gold in Senator Portman's office

Barbara Pierce barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 13:01:49 UTC 2020

Hello, my name is Barbara Pierce, and I am a constituent of [Mr. Portman. I live in Oberlin, Ohio. I am writing to urge Mr. Portman to oppose Senator Lamar Alexander’s provision to waive all IDEA requirements. While the COVID-19 outbreak has placed a tremendous and unprecedented strain on schools and districts, it is imperative that we work together to find solutions that allow all children to receive equal access to an education and the services that support them without undoing all of their civil and educational rights. I am writing as a concerned blind person to urge you to reject any provision that would provide waiver authority to the Secretary of Education regarding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Over seven million children rely on IDEA to receive special education supports and services. I hope you will help schools by providing states with additional funding that can be used to provide teachers, school leaders, and families with the tools they need to connect to teach and support students, all students. Please support the students with disabilities and their families that rely upon the IDEA to have equal access to education.

Sincerely,

Barbara Pierce

Barbara Pierce, President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
440-774-8077

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations for blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and their dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.