[Ohio-Talk] using iPhone and android phone to scan and read mail, etc.

c16a19f at sbcglobal.net c16a19f at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 29 13:16:35 UTC 2020

Hi Jo!
It has been a number of months since I communicated with you and others on Ohio Talk about my need to get an iPhone so that I could use apps for reading  print materials, identifying canned food, etc. I've got an iPhone now and a 14 cell Braille display!
In the last few weeks I've managed to download a few apps, including Seeing AI and Voice Dream, Be My Eyes, and Instacart. I'm so grateful for these as my life is so much more manageable as I am still seldom around other people.
Do you use the Instacart app? I haven't tried it yet.
I've also found Google lists by asking Siri to find something, but I'm not too excited about navigating the search results. I think that I was unable to open up the results. Something for another day...
     I haven't switched my cell phone service to the iPhone, so I still can't do texts, but I do have email on my iPhone.
Oh, yes, and I enjoy telling Siri to play a podcast or radio station, though I don't care about Apple TV, Garage sounds or the music or book stores.
I should probably figure out how to set up BARD access and the Zoom app on the iPhone next..
Do you know of any zoom groups of blind people that meet to discuss using the iPhone?
I hope you are doing well in these strange times. Did you attend the NFB Ohio convention? I really enjoyed it!
Cheryl Fischer, NFB Cuyahoga County