[Ohio-Talk] October President Announcements

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 17:47:16 UTC 2020

Good Afternoon Ohio and Friends,

The weather in Dayton certainly is living up to its history; that is it
could change in any moment. If you do not like Ohio's weather, I am afraid
that you may be in for a cruel season change. I turned up the heat in the
last few days and it feels good.

However, I am reminded of the heartbreaking reality of what the Boykins
family is going through at this time. As it has been reported, a Miami
Valley member is still missing up until this day. The change of weather has
had a tremendous affect on my thought processes on if he is; not only safe
but warm as well.

Consequently, I have been in constant touch with Vince's father and for the
first time, I heard his name mentioned on the news the other day. I am
encouraging all members to be safe, careful and at the same time vigilant in
your surroundings. Ohio need you, and we care!

Chapter Presidents, I have appointed Eric Duffy as the nominating Chair for
the 2020 Nominating Committee. Please email me and Eric off list, as to who
will serve on the Nominating Committee representing your Chapter. Get this
information to us very soon. Your help is needed to aid us in covering all
aspects of the Convention as soon as possible. With this task completed, our
concentration can be focused on the next action item.

On Thursday evening at the National Presidential Release, President
Riccobono provided an announcement that Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand
and the maker of JAWS for Windows and Focus Braille displays, has pledged to
match the first $50,000 in donations made to the NFB during Meet the Blind
Month. I am proud to say, a motion was made, it was move and past; that Ohio
contribute $1000. This means that a check will go out soon from the Ohio
Affiliate. Nevertheless, I am encouraging Chapters, Divisions and members to
also contribute to this wonderful endeavor. More details on how to
contribute is below.

Ohio, the right to vote is very important, so please invite others to attend
this meeting.

Notice, this is not our Ohio zoom meeting information. Please attend if you
can and thanks in advance.

Announcement:

Thank you for joining the call to demonstrate the OmniBallot system.  Please
click the link below to join the meeting.

Topic: NFB OH OmniBallot Demo

Time: Oct 7, 2020 at 6:30PM Eastern Time

Host: Charlie Kinnune

Co-Host: Bryan Finney

Join Zoom Meeting

 <https://zoom.us/j/92523723437?pwd=bGRQN0QwM202M3dQTlJFLzN3aTR4Zz09>
https://zoom.us/j/92523723437?pwd=bGRQN0QwM202M3dQTlJFLzN3aTR4Zz09

Meeting ID: 925 2372 3437

Passcode: 333983

For Audio

  +1 253 215 8782

One tap mobile

+12532158782,,92523723437#

Meeting ID: 925 2372 3437

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes,

September 21, 2020

President Richard Payne called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm on the Zoom
platform.

1. Eric Duffy called the roll of the board to begin the meeting. All members
of the board were present. President Payne reminded everyone to mute their
phones until they were ready to speak. He also reminded everyone to say
their last name in order to be recognized. Finally he  said that, when it
was time to vote, he wanted to hear only from members of the Board of
Directors.

2. There were no minutes to approve, because the board approved the last set
of minutes earlier in the year.

3. Eric Duffy read  the financial report prepared by Sherry Ruth, and he
moved its adoption.   Barbara Pierce  seconded the motion, and it passed.

4. Chapters, divisions, and committees were invited to give reports. Barbara
Pierce said that the senior division is accepting drawing donations. For
each $10 donated the donor will get his or her name in a drawing for $200.
The drawing will take place at the banquet, and you must be present to win.
Suzanne Turner thanked chapters, divisions, and individuals who have signed
up for PAC recently. All members of the Board of Directors are now on the
PAC Plan as well as all chapters except for Springfield. We hope Springfield
will discuss contributing to PAC at an upcoming meeting. Annette Lutz talked
about a Meet the Blind month initiative started by the Capital Chapter.
Anyone from around the state may participate. We are collecting short audio
clips discussing the positive message of the National Federation of the
Blind, and how blindness has not held you back. Contact Jordy Stringer if
you wish to participate in this project. Annette reminded everyone that
Gavel Award submissions are due by October 1. Chapters and divisions are
required to submit a report to the president of the affiliate even if they
do not enter the competition. Those not entering the competition must have a
report to the president one week before the convention begins. Nominations
for individual awards are also due by October 1.

5. Carolyn Peters asked the board to approve a new division. She wants to
form a communities of faith division. There was some discussion about
whether this should be a division or an interest group. The sense of the
board is that it should be a division. As is long-standing policy, Carolyn
was asked to submit the proposed constitution for the division to the
Constitution Committee for review. Provided that the proposed constitution
is in compliance with the constitutions of the National Federation of the
Blind and the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio,  the committee will
bring it to the board with a recommendation for adoption. During the
discussion the Board made it very clear that the division must be open to
people of all faiths. No preference is to be shown to  people of any
denomination or faith.

6. A great deal of work is being done to make our virtual convention a
success. President Payne  has convened a group to consider and prepare for
all of the behind-the-scenes work that must take place to be sure that the
convention runs smoothly. Eric Duffy is in charge of the technology team,
and Suzanne is leading another group to handle issues that are not
technology related. President Payne is encouraging everyone to register as
soon as possible. Remember registration is free this year.

7.  The Rookie Roundup will be held on Wednesday, November 4, from 6:30 to
8:30 pm.  Thursday, November 5, there will be a technology seminar in the
afternoon and a happy hour that evening.

8. Jim Wise moved that four tumblers be given for door prizes for the Rookie
Roundup and that members of the Board volunteer to add cash prizes of $25 to
go with the tumblers. Cheryl Fields seconded the motion, and it carried.
Those who volunteered to donate cash were Jim Wise, Carolyn Peters, Marianne
Denning, and William H. Turner. It was also agreed that we would give three
tumblers away during happy hour.

9. Eric Duffy moved that the Board recommend a voting policy to the
convention that will be used to govern the voting process during the virtual
convention. The policy will be read during the Board meeting on November 6
and then once again after the roll call of chapters that afternoon. The
convention will then be asked to vote to approve or modify the policy. See
attached. Barbara Pierce seconded the motion, and it passed.

10. Eric Duffy moved that the affiliate adopt a policy regarding the proper
use of Ohio-Talk and that the president appoint an ad hoc committee to
recommend a policy to the Board by the next meeting. Jim Wise seconded the
motion. There was considerable discussion. We do not want the list to be
cluttered or to have posts that are not related to blindness and the work of
the National Federation of the Blind. We are a family, and we want to know
what is going on within the family. However, all families have rules and
norms concerning behavior within the family. After this discussion the
motion was adopted. Cheryl Fields, Annette Lutz, and Carolyn Peters opposed
the motion. There were no abstentions.

11. President Payne thanked the Student Division for the contribution it
made to the affiliate from its walkathon. He also thanked everyone who
purchased virtual candy during the national convention and in general
praised the membership for the work and fund raising efforts that have
continued to take place.

12. The Board engaged in a discussion about membership. One becomes a member
of this organization by joining a local chapter or division. We encourage
everyone to join a local chapter in the geographic area in which he or she
resides. We have an at-large chapter for those who cannot participate in a
local chapter for any reason. We discourage individuals from joining
chapters from outside their geographic area. For example, we discourage
someone living in Northeast Ohio from joining a chapter in Southwest Ohio.
We want people to participate actively in the work of the National
Federation of the Blind. That can't happen without attending chapter
meetings on a regular basis.

13. The meeting adjourned at 9:11 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Eric Duffy, Secretary

//

Proposed 2020 Convention Principles of Voting

These principles of voting are proposed for consideration by the National
Federation of the Blind of Ohio Board of Directors, for recommendation to
the Convention.

Nothing in these principles of voting is intended to change Article III,
Section A of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio's constitution.
The Convention remains "the supreme authority of the Federation. It is the
legislature of the Federation. As such, it has final authority with respect
to all issues of policy, and members in attendance may participate in all
convention discussions as a matter of right. Any member of the Federation
may make or second motions and propose nominations." These procedures simply
implement the method for following the constitution in an electronic
convention.

The below principles and procedures are intended to provide clarity and
advanced notice on how the convention will be managed in 2020. This document
will be read at the NFB of Ohio board meeting on November 6 and then a
second time after the roll call of chapters that afternoon. We will then ask
the convention to vote on the proposed policy. Those eligible to vote on
this proposal will be any enrolled voters present and voting at the session
on November 6 as described below.

An ad hoc committee shall deal with all questions and concerns related to
voting. The ad hoc committee will include Eric Duffy, Springfield Chapter;
Suzanne Turner, Cleveland Chapter and, Cheryl Fields Cleveland Chapter .

Eric Duffy shall chair the Ad Hoc committee.

Voting:

1.    All members who are registered for the convention and who opt into the
voter enrollment system by the specified time will constitute the pool of
convention voters.

2.    All votes will first be conducted by voice. If the president is unable
to determine the outcome of any vote, he will then call for an electronic
vote. On any vote any individual member who is registered for the convention
and who has opted into the voter enrollment system by the specified time may
also call for an electronic vote.

3.    All electronic voting will be done via SMS (text message) or by phone.

4.    Any matter must receive 51 percent support of the votes cast by the
convention voters present and voting in order to be affirmed.

5.    Present and voting will mean the subset of convention voters who
actually cast a vote on a given question. Thus, voters who are indifferent
to a matter cannot block its consideration by the Convention by choosing not
to cast a vote.

6.    All electronic votes will be allocated three minutes for vote time.

7.    If voting indicates 75 percent support for or against a question prior
to the three-minute period elapsing, the chair may elect to move to the next
order of business.

8.    An opportunity to practice voting will be offered in the convention on
a question that has no impact on the policy of the organization.

//

National Announcements:

Freedom Scientific offers generous matching gift opportunity.

The National Federation of the Blind is excited to announce a generous
matching gift from Freedom Scientific in honor of Meet the Blind Month this
October.

Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand and the maker of JAWS for Windows and
Focus Braille displays, has pledged to match the first $50,000 in donations
made to the NFB during Meet the Blind Month.

Double your contribution and help ensure that we fulfill this matching gift!

Three Ways to Give

*	Give online at  <https://www.nfb.org/donate> nfb.org/donate
*	Mail a check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells
Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230
*	Contribute by phone using a credit card by calling 410-659-9314;
press 4 for giving followed by 1 to give a gift

This year our  <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month> Meet
the Blind Month activities are focusing on lived experiences in our local
communities with problem solving and self-confidence. Thank you to Freedom
Scientific and all of our supporters for helping us continue this important
work

//

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Welcomes You To Our 74th Annual
Ohio State Convention

Pre-Convention Attractions

Rookie Roundup: Wednesday, November 4th at 6:30 P.M. EST.

Introducing The Ohio Affiliate, Door Prizes and More!

Exhibit Seminar: Thursday, November 5th at 3:00 P.M. EST.

HIMS, Universal Vision Technology, Vispero, Vanda Pharmaceuticals and more!

Happy Hour: Thursday, November 5th at 7:00 P.M. EST.

Music, BYOB, Door Prizes and More!

To join the fun and be eligible for all door prizes at pre-Convention and
Ohio's 2020 Convention "The Vision, Beyond Vision" November 6th and November
7th. Please go to  <http://www.nfbohio/> WWW.NFBOhio.org to register now.

Note: There will be several Ways to connect to all events in the upcoming
Agenda.

Richard Payne,  President

937/829/3368

 <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com> Rchpay7 at gmail.com