[Ohio-Talk] September remarks.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 10:32:01 UTC 2020

Greetings Ohio and Friends,

This week, I was reminded that the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) is
the oldest and largest organization of blind people in the world. You might
ask "why"? It is for several reason; especially one particular item that was
brought to my attention. Without disclosing the matter,  one of our members
had an issue that caused them to reach out for assistance. Because you have
given me your trust as the Ohio Affiliate President, the problem was quickly
resolved. Hence, which is a testimony of how strong, resilient and how we
fight against in justices when they occur .

Last night the presidential Release was live. President, Mark Riccobono
addressed the national organization on several important topics; such as
children returning to school during the pandemic. Seniors losing vision
later in life and the reduction of funding under rehabilitation services
that are needed to assist them with "living the life they want", and he also
stressed exercising the right to vote in the upcoming elections. There have
been many conferences this year in Ohio about accessible voting. If you are
unsure on your rights, please contact your Board of Elections to gain a
greater understanding. Incidentally, the Greater Cuyahoga Chapter will hold
such a meeting during their Chapter meeting on September 26, 2020 at 11:00
PM. Keep a look out for more details from President Weiss.

I personally want to thank members for their gracious time and attendance
for participating with neighboring Affiliates during their 2020 Virtual
State Conventions. As I have also participated with South Carolina and New
Mexico Conventions, which   have been quite impressive. As I understand from
members across the country, attention is on the Ohio's Convention.
Therefore, once again I am imploring you to provide suggestions of ideas and
topics that you would like to see implemented at our Ohio's Convention. I
will tell you that there are a few surprises in the works already. But, it
is not too late to add additional ideas.

Sherry Ruth has informed me that our virtual candy sales are at $750.00.
Thank you all for giving.

I know that many  are doing their best to survive, due to  the effects from
Covid-19. Your generosity means a lot; not only to me, but those in the
community and our members as well who need a little more help than usual.
Moreover, if you are able to give toward this wonderful and powerful cause,
I am hopeful that we will raise $1000  by the State Convention. Again, thank
you all who have given!

Now for the best announcement ever!

The Current 2020 total registration for the 74th Annual Ohio State
Convention stands at : 115.

Ohio has 99 registered,

South Carolina has 9 registered,

Pennsylvania has 2 registered,

Mississippi has 2 registered,

Indiana, New Jersey and Delaware has 1 each registered as well.

This total of registered attendees is very encouraging because several of
our members have not done so. But remember that you must do this to vote and
take part in door prizes. Also, Annette will be sending out more information
about the door prizes. So, members let's get those door prizes to her!

Note:

Register Today for "The Vision, Beyond Vision Convention"

November 6th, 7th and 8th, 2020

Click Here!

 <https://nfbohio.org/74th-nfbo-convention/>
https://nfbohio.org/74th-nfbo-convention/.

This is a message from the new and improved Jordy Stringer.

Greetings federation friends and family, I hope this note finds everyone
healthy and safe. This year though our convention will be virtual one of the
Staples is having an agenda that you can put your hands on. If you'd like a
braille, or large print agenda please submit your request no later than
Friday, October

23, 2020. Please send your request by email to the following address:

 <mailto:Jssocil at gmail.com> Jssocil at gmail.com.

Include your first and last name, your preference whether it is large print,
or braille, your address, and a phone number should I need to reach out to
you.

Do to shipping and printing timelines unfortunately no requests will be able
to be honored after October 23 regardless of circumstance. Please ensure
your request includes all of the above information or your large print, or
braille agenda will not be shipped to you in a timely manner if at all. We
are also pleased to let you know that we plan to have captioning available
during the Friday and Saturday General sessions as well as the banquet

The Community Service Committee of Ohio will stroll down memory lane on

Thursday September 3rd at 7 O'clock p.m.

Join us for, Eighties Music!!! Remember all of the great music recorded in
the 80's? Think, Rick James, Guns and Roses, Cyndi Lauper, Tina Turner, and
Men at Work, just to name a few.

It's been said that Coca Cola changed its formula in the 80's and Pepsi Cola
became the number one soft drink in America. Let's add a taste test to this
week's party.

Get a Coca-Cola and a Pepsi and let's decide once and for all time which one
tastes the best! Be prepared to make your opinion count!

Select your favorite song from the eighties and our D.J. will spin it or you
can sing to us, your choice. We appreciate you and look forward to hosting
the party again, this week! Meet you on Zoom!

BTW! I want to dance with somebody, as long as you're wearing a mask!

Don't become a public enemy, wash your hands, don't fight the power of soap
and water!

Sorry to tell you this but, just beat it! Give everyone six feet!

Be safe and stay healthy! Meet you in the NFB Ohio Zoom room on Thursday!

National Office Announcements:

The US Department of Transportation announced a six-month extension for the
quiet car rule, part of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act that requires
audible sounds be equipped on electric and hybrid electric vehicles to help
all pedestrians, especially blind pedestrians, be aware when a vehicle is
nearby. This extension is needed in response to COVID-19-related
manufacturing delays. The National Federation of the Blind recognizes the
impact of COVID-19 on the automobile industry and believes that the DOT's
action strikes an appropriate balance while continuing to ensure
implementation of the law. Learn more about our advocacy for
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17
/bm1704/bm170403.htm> the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act.

NFB-Branded Masks Available Soon-Preorder Yours Now:

We have ordered a limited number of branded, fabric masks with our logo
prominently displayed that will be carried in our Independence Market. The
face masks are medium blue with our logo centered in white. The face
covering is approximately seven and one-fourth inches by four and
three-fourths inches. The inside of the mask is white soft fabric. There are
loops that go over the ears. We are taking preorders for masks, which will
be available around the beginning of October. The cost will be $4.00 per
mask or $10.00 for three masks, plus shipping and handling. Please note that
these masks are not eligible for Free Matter shipping so we will be shipping
them by UPS ground. To reserve your mask(s), call the Independence Market at
410-659-9314, extension 2216. We will contact you for payment, once the
masks arrive at NFB headquarters.

Zoom Security Change:

Please note that there is a change to Zoom security coming at the end of
next month. As of September 27, all Zoom meetings will require either a
passcode or a waiting room. The passcode can be embedded in the Zoom meeting
hyperlink but will need to be keyed in along with the meeting ID for those
not using the hyperlink. Zoom meetings can be configured in a way that phone
participants are not required to enter a Zoom passcode. A waiting room will
require the meeting's host or co-hosts to admit each attendee into the main
meeting. With some work up front, it is possible to whitelist some attendees
into the meeting automatically. Please keep this in mind for your fall
convention sessions. More information can be found on the Zoom website at
<https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360045009111-FAQ-Meetings-Waiting
-Room-and-Passcode-Requirements-September-27-2020>
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360045009111-FAQ-Meetings-Waiting-
Room-and-Passcode-Requirements-September-27-2020.

Meet the Blind Month:

The National Federation of the Blind celebrates Meet the Blind Month every
October, with members conducting outreach activities across the country. If
you are looking for ideas, a recommendation is to focus on lived experiences
with problem solving, self-confidence, and intersectionality. Plan a virtual
event in your local community to talk about blindness and the Federation
philosophy. Invite schools, libraries, and other establishments. The
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month/courtesy-rules-blind
ness> Courtesy Rules of Blindness resource or
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month/white-cane-awareness
-day> White Cane Awareness Day resources are great to share. If needed,
there is still time to order materials from the Independence Market such as
Braille alphabet cards. Send the date of your event and a brief description
to  <mailto:web at nfb.org> web at nfb.org. Please use #MeetTheBlind in social
media.

Infrared Thermometers Available:

During the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we are all more conscious about
monitoring our health by checking our body temperature. The Independence
Market can help. We currently have a talking infrared thermometer available
for ordering. By the end of September, we will also have a talking oral
thermometer back in stock. To place an order, please call the Independence
Market at 410-659-9314, extension 2216.

Nonvisual Access Conference-Access Technology and Structured Discovery:

The National Federation of the Blind is hosting an all-virtual conference,
September 24 and 25, with sessions and panels discussing the intersection of
access technology and the structured discovery training model used in other
areas of blindness skills training. Especially with the virtual school year
beginning, this is great for teachers of blind students and blindness
professionals. Learn more about
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/tr
ainings/nonvisual-access-conference> the Nonvisual Access Conference.

2020 Online Research Platform Study:

This week, we are continuing our work with Hathi Trust to conduct a study on
the accessibility and usability of an online research platform. We are
having our first orientation Tuesday, September 1 to discuss what will be
expected of the participants. We are still recruiting participants, so if
you are a college student, higher-education faculty member, or other
professional conducting academic research,
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/C5KDN7G> please complete this survey in
order to be considered to participate in the study. All who complete the
survey will be entered into a drawing.

STEM Update:

For the past twenty years we have worked to increase access for blind
students in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Though it will be different than originally planned, our latest program,
STEM2U, will continue this mission. Earlier this spring, fifteen affiliates
were chosen to host STEM2U programs in their states. These programs will now
be virtual, meaning students will have the opportunity to learn from a
greater number of mentors and peers. STEM2U programs will be held on
Saturday, October 17, and Saturday, November 14. If you or your STEM2U
coordinator have any questions, please reach out to Karen Anderson at
<mailto:kanderson at nfb.org> kanderson at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension
2243.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	September 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	September 13: Open-House Gathering call, 4:00 p.m. eastern
*	November 21 Nfb of Ohio state board of directors meeting. 7:00 PM
EDT
*	October 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	October: Meet the Blind Month
*	November 1: Presidential Release LIVE,
*	November 6th-8th NFB Ohio State Convention  . EDT.
*	December 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	December 9: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern
*	February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In

Richard Payne,  President

937/829/3368

 <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com> Rchpay7 at gmail.com

blindness is not what holds you back.