[Ohio-Talk] The Blind and the Media

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:43:04 UTC 2020

I read with interest the article entitled Blind bowlers break barriers, and throw plenty of strikes circulated on this list. As I read I thought about my friend Wilbert and his competitive nature. I like his competitive spirit and his sense of humor. My guess is that he was largely responsible for making the story happen. Those thoughts filled me with pride, but then I cringed over  the mostly dismal picture the reporter painted of the blind.

Consider what was done in one single shot when talking about Helpers: "Helpers" - usually family or friends who help these bowlers find the finger
holes, get back to their seats, cheer them on with every spare, strike, or
even single pin down.”

I can’t imagine one single blind bowler needing help finding the finger wholes. Where did the reporter get this notion? Of course it came from the age old stereotypes about blindness.
What are the potential employers of the blind to think when they read that blind people need help finding the finger wholes in a bowling ball and need to be led to their seats.

Now hold on folks! This is not a criticism of Wilbert or our blind bowlers in any way. I bring this up because we need to see these comments for what they are. Many on this list are new to blindness, the Federation, or both. I want it understood that although we congratulate Wilbert for his accomplishments, we recognize that the news article has real problems.

This kind of thing can happen to any of us and all of us. It is something we need to be aware of when working with the media.

Eric