[Ohio-Talk] Happy Wednesday

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 17:35:49 UTC 2021

Greetings Ohio,

I have requested from the chapter and division president's the most updated
list that they have at this time and hopefully you will let them know of any
changes that pertain to you. We need this information very soon thanks to
those chapters that have replied to the request so far.

This is a reminder that the state board meeting will be held on April 24 at
9:00 am on our normal zoom platform please be on time and if you have items
to be considered email me off list.

April 7 is often cited as a symbolic birth date of the net because the RFC
memoranda contain research, proposals, and methodologies applicable to
internet technology. . 1969: The publication of the first "request for
comments," or RFC, documents paves the way for the birth of the internet.Apr
7, 2007

<https://www.wired.com/2007/04/dayintech-0407-2/#:~:text=April%207%20is%20of
ten%20cited,methodologies%20applicable%20to%20internet%20technology.&text=st
ory%20for%20later.-,1969%3A%20The%20publication%20of%20the%20first%20%E2%80%
9Crequest%20for%20comments%2C,the%20birth%20of%20the%20internet.>

<https://www.wired.com/2007/04/dayintech-0407-2/#:~:text=April%207%20is%20of
ten%20cited,methodologies%20applicable%20to%20internet%20technology.&text=st
ory%20for%20later.-,1969%3A%20The%20publication%20of%20the%20first%20%E2%80%
9Crequest%20for%20comments%2C,the%20birth%20of%20the%20internet.> April 7,
1969: Birth of That Thing We Call the Internet .

Have you Registered for the 2021 NFB National Convention?

The 2021 National Federation of the Blind National Convention is July 6
through July 10. Registration is open and free. By registering, you will get
access to the latest information as it is made available, the opportunity to
win door prizes, and more!
<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=432> Register for the
2021 NFB National Convention online now. Or, if someone you know needs help
with registration or would prefer to email or mail in a registration, please
use the
<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/files-pdf/2021-national-convention-regi
stration-form-fillable-web.pdf> 2021 National Convention Registration Form
(fillable PDF).

News:

Honor Roll Call:

Each year affiliates and national divisions make donations to the funds that
help sustain our movement: Kenneth Jernigan Fund, Jacobus tenBroek Memorial
Fund, SUN Fund, and White Cane Fund. Starting in 2021 and for future years,
all affiliates and divisions are asked to make contributions or pledges
starting May 1. Affiliates and divisions should send an email to
<mailto:rollcall at nfb.org> rollcall at nfb.org to let us know the name of the
organization, how much it is contributing to each fund, and when the check
is expected to be mailed. We will collect and track this information as
contributions are received. We ask that all pledges be fulfilled by August
1, 2021. You should make donations to the Kenneth Jernigan Fund, SUN Fund,
and White Cane Fund payable to National Federation of the Blind, and
donations to the Jacobus tenBroek Memorial Fund payable to that fund. Make
sure to put Honor Roll Call in the memo of any check sent for this purpose,
and mail it to 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, Attention: Fiscal
Services - Roll Call.

Door Prizes:

We are accepting door prizes for the 2021 National Convention. We request
cash donations so that we can distribute gift cards and gift certificates as
prizes. Cash donations make it easier to create prize groups and to
distribute prizes from one location. Please make your checks payable to
National Federation of the Blind and write Door Prizes in the memo. You
should mail the check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells
Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, Attention: Fiscal Services - DP. By addressing
the check this way, we will easily identify it as a door prize and process
it accordingly. You can also send an email to  <mailto:prize at nfb.org>
prize at nfb.org to let us know you are sending a contribution for the door
prizes and the full name of the organization that the contribution is from.
We want to make sure we recognize your organization in our thank-you list.
You can contact Bridgid Burke ( <mailto:bburke at nfb.org> bburke at nfb.org or
extension 2271) or Belinda Hooks ( <mailto:bhooks at nfb.org> bhooks at nfb.org or
extension 2508) with any questions. We are looking forward to another
informative, fun, and prize-filled convention.

Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373):

Yesterday Chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, Bobby Scott
(VA-3) reintroduced the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment
Act (H.R. 2373). This bill would discontinue the use of special wage
certificates and phase out subminimum wages for people with disabilities
over a four-year period. Please contact your representatives and ask them to
cosponsor this legislation.

Comments to Rehabilitation Services Administration Regarding Competitive
Integrated Employment:

On March 31, the National Federation of the Blind submitted
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/comments-rsa-f
aq-regarding-criterion-integrated> comments to the Rehabilitation Services
Administration regarding an FAQ the agency released pertaining to the
definition of competitive integrated employment. Our comprehensive comments
can be found on the
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements> Policy
Statements page of nfb.org.

Independence Market April "Products of the Month" and Sale Items:

This month the Independence Market has two products of the month. The first
is a Micro-Speak Talking Digital Voice Recorder (8 gig) that is priced at
$60. The second is a Wilson Digital Voice Recorder (Version 8) priced at
$42. Either (or both) of these items can be purchased by contacting the
Independence Market at 410-659-9314, extension 2216, or by email at
<mailto:Independencemarket at nfb.org> Independencemarket at nfb.org.

The sale items for the month of April are:

Plastic Envelope Writing Guide - $1

Plastic Letter Writing Guide - $1

2x Illuminated Magnifier with 6X Insert and Folding Handle - $5

Supplies are limited, so for more information or to purchase any of the
items listed above, contact the Independence Market at 410-659-9314,
extension 2216, or by email at  <mailto:Independencemarket at nfb.org>
Independencemarket at nfb.org.

Collections Advisory Council:

The Jacobus tenBroek Library is looking to put together an advisory council
of people who are aligned with the missions of the National Federation of
the Blind and possess an interest in history, research, literature, museums,
archives, and other related subjects. If you are interested or would like
more information, please contact Nichole Chrissis at
<mailto:nchrissis at nfb.org> nchrissis at nfb.org.

Blind Driver Challenge Update: Partnering with Cruise:

The National Federation of the Blind and the San Francisco-based,
zero-emission, self-driving company Cruise are sponsoring racecar driver Dan
Parker in his fall 2021 attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the
"Fastest Speed for a Car Driven Blindfolded" as part of the Blind Driver
Challenge. It's more than a race-we are accelerating the challenge in 2021
because the need for urgency in the development and implementation of
accessibility in emerging technology is even greater. Read the
<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/cruise-sponsor-racecar-driver-dan-parke
r-blind-driver-challenge> full partnership announcement from April 5 and
check out  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VuUKIBVuvM> the video teaser.

Upcoming Nonvisual Access Events: Testing and Google Workplace:

Accessibility boutiques and seminars are National Federation of the Blind
workshops presented by our access technology experts that provide
introductions to accessibility best practices and the latest trends in
access tech. Below are two upcoming accessibility events to share.

*	April 14: A Deep Dive into Accessibility Testing
*	April 27: Accessibility of Google Workplace

Learn more and register at
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/traini
ngs/accessibility-boutiques> nfb.org/boutiques.

Latest Blog Post: "Surviving Domestic Violence: I Found My Way Out":

The Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog highlights personal experiences and
stories of blind people. In the recent article, Cheryl Fields shares about
the pathway of healing and journey to peace. Read the blog, "
<https://nfb.org/blog/surviving-domestic-violence-i-found-my-way-out>
Surviving Domestic Violence: I Found My Way Out." If you are interested in
sharing a story, please email  <mailto:CommunicationsTeam at nfb.org>
CommunicationsTeam at nfb.org.

The April Braille Monitor Is Available:

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about national convention, stories from
members, raising expectations, and more.
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2104/bm2104tc.htm> Access
the Braille Monitor now.

Affiliate Mentoring Program:

Affiliate leaders interested in learning more about developing an NFB
affiliate mentoring program in your state are cordially invited to join us
on Wednesday, April 14, from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. eastern, to hear from a
dynamic panel discussion on the topic of "All You Wanted to Know About
Developing an NFB Affiliate Mentoring Program" followed by Q&A.

Join Zoom Meeting:  <https://zoom.us/j/8451905685>
https://zoom.us/j/8451905685

Meeting ID: 845 190 5685

One tap mobile: +13017158592,,8451905685# US (Washington DC)
16468769923,,8451905685# US +(New York)

Dial by your location

+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 845 190 5685

Thanks Go Out to Our Kansas Affiliate:

Special thanks go to the NFB of Kansas for their generous contribution. Your
work is much appreciated.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	April 15:  <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> Bolotin Awards nominations
deadline
*	April 15: Survivor Task Force Open Call
*	April 18: Survivor Task Force Open Call

*	May 1:
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished
-educator-blind-students-award> Distinguished Educator of Blind Children
Award  nominations deadline
*	May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	May 7:  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy> NFB
BELLR Academy application deadline (for session one)
*	May 10:  <http://www.nfb.org/eq> NFB EQ application deadline
*	June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

blindness is not what holds you back.

Richard Payne,  President

937/829/3368

 <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com> Rchpay7 at gmail.com