[Ohio-Talk] Convention Time

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 18:38:16 UTC 2021

The importance of attending the national and Ohio State conventions!
By Ohio Affiliate President, Richard Payne

I have attended almost every National convention since I joined the National Federation of the Blind. I have travel to many states, like Louisiana, Illinois and across to Michigan and then to Florida, each was empowering and thrilling to say the least.  As I look back on all the occurrences, what sticks with me are the laws that were enacted because of the work of the National Federation of the Blind. I can still remember the gavel dropping and how loud the crowd was and the over-whelming excitement that filled the room from the conventioneers. Moreover, the Ohio State and National Convention hotels will test your skills, and yet strengthen them as well, but it is the members and fellowship that has a long-lasting impact. The national convention is where all fifty states get together and make decisions about laws and set policies for the organization. We benefit by attending for several reasons; for example, to connect likeminded members, to break down barriers and share advice from a real-world point of view. There is always someone who has “been there and done that”! Furthermore, there are division and committee meetings that represent just about every topic and profession; such as Rehabilitation Counselors, Artist, Sports and Recreation and more. For five years, the National Convention has held a National Federation of the Blind Career Fair with over thirty employers from across the country who offer vocational guidance and employment opportunities for our job seekers. And, who could forget about the spectacular Exhibit Hall with rows and rows of tables featuring technology, hand-held gadgets, T-shirts, unusual products and more.

Additionally, during these Conventions one of the most uplifting aspect, in my opinion is the banquet speech. Last year the roof almost came off the banquet hall, because President Riccobono delivered one of the best speeches that I’ve heard in a very long time. You can assure if you attend this year’s National Convention, it will be one of the largest and most moving events that you will ever have an opportunity to attend. As many of you know, I come from Arkansas, a state that had no convention assistance. Hence, we shared rooms and helped out with transportation so all could attend. If you are planning to go to Houston Texas or venture to Dayton Ohio,  for the 2020 State of Ohio and the National Conventions, reach out to your Chapter President for support, consider sharing rooms and start talking to friends, family members and sponsors for contributions. It is also important to   apply for the 2020 Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship Fund, if you are a first-timer. We invest in our membership and if you are attending your first Convention, you should apply for the grant. Those who are not first-timers, we can do this together and make it to both 2020 Conventions.

Finally, I have met many blind people who say that the Conventions were quite overwhelming, but an experience that they would not change. Perhaps, it is the meeting of new blind friends and the discovery that blind people work and play as their sighted peers. The Convention is where we are in the majority and it is organized by blind people and for the blind. We can assist you with filling out the forms or just providing mentorship. So, if you are a first-timer or seasoned and need help then please feel free to reach out to the Ohio leadership. It is through love, hope and determination, the National Federation of the Blind transform dreams into reality. We can live the life we want; blindness is not what holds us back.

Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com