[Ohio-Talk] Memo for June

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 19:23:07 UTC 2021

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio (NFBO)

Richard Payne, President
(937) 829-3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com>

Announcements for June 9		, 2021

In this edition, you will find great information on the following

1.	Recruitment efforts for the National and Ohio State Conventions.
2.	NFBO 2021 Vendor Registration
3.	National Pre-Convention Activity
4.	Celebration of Pride Month
5.	Information on PAC Prizes
6.	National Convention Registration Still Available
7.	link to our Employment Committee events at the National Convention.
8.	And More

///

Building the efforts of the NFB
Details

I am overjoyed to write with the understanding that many of you are very
anxious to continue your efforts to build the federation. We can always be
immensely proud of this affiliate and its long history of being active.
While I say this, you should also understand that to be active is part of
the pledge that we all took. So, each member has a responsibility in keeping
the bond that binds us together as one. Often times we let our members off
the hook by saying that the elective leaders are held to a higher standard;
but the truth of the matter as I see it is that members should also be
responsible to do their part. Therefore, let's work together to motivate and
encourage each other to attend the National and Ohio State Conventions.

///

Membership Practices Overview for Affiliates
Details

There are still a few members who may not understand the policy of the
federation   when it comes to membership as it pertains to being part of
other organizations. The following is copied directly from the Membership
Practices Overview for Affiliates.

 Federation members may participate in other organizations of the blind that
might exist. Members of other organizations are warmly invited and
encouraged to learn about the Federation to make an informed decision about
joining the. Federation members seeking to serve in elected offices anywhere
in the organization may not be a member of another blindness organization
that has policies in opposition to those of the National Federation of the
Blind or in contravention to its constitution. This must be the case when an
individual stands for election within the organization and during the entire
time they serve in an elected office within the Federation.

///

Recruitment Efforts for the National and State Conventions
Details

I have asked Vice President Turner to lead the efforts in keeping us engaged
with information on the National and State Conventions. In the next months,
you will see several  postings and recruiting efforts that will provide
members with equal access and an opportunity to be a part of exciting
festivities.  This also leads me to assemble a group of people to help us
with detailed plans for the greatest event in November. As a secret, I have
retained a few speakers. But, Ohio  still has room to arrange others. If you
wish to be part of the group of members to assist with convention
arrangements, send me an email  or reach out to your Vice president off
list.  Everyone should be aware that it is especially important to attend
and do your best when asked to serve. In addition, Eric has agreed to assist
this year by working with the Membership Committee to get us volunteers so
that the hotel will not be strained by having to leave their desk or other
jobs. We should do our best to head that off and help one another.

Convention Announcement
Details

This year we will hold our 75th Annual Convention. We have asked you and
others to Join us as we celebrate and expand our circle of participation,
connecting blind Americans from across the state for what we expect to be
the largest gathering of blind people in the history of Ohio. This cannot
happen without you. So, take a moment and call to reserve your hotel room.
There are no charges until you check in.

		This YEAR'S theme is "Back to the basics and engaging the
future":

Thomas Edison famously said that before he invented the lightbulb, he had to
find a thousand ways to not invent the lightbulb. But even Thomas Edison had
to clean up his work bench in between attempts.
		The federation must find ways to teach, train and promote
our philosophy and by doing this we will prepair the next generation and the
world.

		November 5-6-7, 2021
		DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Columbus - Worthington
		175 Hutchinson Avenue
		(614) 885-3334

		///

NFBO 2021 Vendor Registration
Details

Vendors, please complete the information below and submit it to the
Convention Exhibit Coordinator, Suzanne Turner at SMTurner.234 at gmail.com
<mailto:SMTurner.234 at gmail.com>  by October 15, 2021. For questions, call
Suzanne at (216) 990-6199.