[Ohio-Talk] Have you donated to the OSSB Model Restoration Project yet?

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 20:08:48 UTC 2021

Fellow Federationists:

Have you donated to the OSSB Model Restoration project yet?  If not, now is
the time because time is running out to get those donations in so that they
will be matched by the NFB of Ohio.

The Board set July 1, 2021, as the due date for all donations in order to
qualify for matching funding. As of today, we have received $970 in
donations. That's only $30 shy of $1000, but it is way shy of our initial
$3000 goal.

So why should I donate you ask? Well the OSSB models were created during
the late 1930s/early 1940s. They are used as educational aids to help
students at the School for the Blind to learn about historical buildings
and objects that are simply too big for students to see otherwise. I used
these models when I was in school during the 1970s and 80s, and they were
invaluable.

The models were originally created by hand by artists. So they are also a
bit of a historical item on their own. Unfortunately, the models have
deteriorated over time, which limits their use by students because further
use might deteriorate them more, and in some cases, they no longer
accurately reflect the buildings/items they depict because of
broken/missing parts, etc.

That's why OSSB had undertaken a project to restore all of their models to
complete 100% usefulness. But OSSB does not have any State funding that can
go towards this project. Consequently, they are doing only able to restore
models when they have enough donated funds to bring in someone to work on
the models.

Everyone can donate and every single dollar will help. A great example of a
creative donation recently occurred when our Affiliate Secretary Eric Duffy
recently lost a best to the Merchants Division President Annette Lutz.
Seems Eric bet Annette $25 that the Los Angeles Lakers would make it
farther into the NBA Playoffs than would Annette's "The People's Team" the
Los Angeles Clippers. Well unfortunately for Eric the Lakers lost their
first-round series while the Clippers advanced into the second round. But
when Eric went to pay up on his debt, in true Federation spirit Annette
told him to send that $25 to the NFB of Ohio and designate it for the Model
Restoration project. Eric has now done so. So, although the Lakers lost the
students of OSSB have benefited from this loss. Thank you Annette and Eric!

So not only will your donation help restore OSSB student access to these
valuable learning aids, and will also help preserve this valuable
historical asset. As an added bonus, for every $500 raised the NFB will be
able to dedicate a plaque on a restored model to an individual the NFB
would like to honor. And the impact of your donation will be doubled since
it will be matched by the NFB of Ohio.

So please donate today to help us restore OSSB's models. Donations can be
made by sending a check to:  NFB of Ohio, Todd Elzey, Treasurer, 3779
Waterbury Dr., Dayton, OH  45439. Electronic donations can be made to
treasurer at nfbohio.org via either PayPal or Zelle. Please make sure to
designate your donation as going to the OSSB Model Restoration project so
that it is credited properly.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this project.

Sincerely,

Todd Elzey, Treasurer
NFB of Ohio
toddelzey at gmail.com