[Ohio-Talk] Our vice president makes it in The Braille Monitor

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 23:07:33 UTC 2021

Suzanne Turner:

Suzanne Turner came to the Federation in the 1980s. She was elected as
president of the Cleveland Chapter at her first meeting. She stepped down
after one year. It was difficult for her to lead effectively because she did
not know much about our organization. After retiring from her job in 2010,
she went to a state convention. "Barbara Pierce and Richard Payne sparked
fire in me. I rejoined, and I have been running ever since."

Suzanne's attendance at one of the national leadership seminars helped her
to understand where she wanted to be in the organization and the work she
wanted to do. The books, "Building the Lives We Want" and Walking Alone and
Marching Together" changed her life. She recalled that the chapter "A
Passion for Humanity" about Isabelle Grant resonated with her. Subsequently,
she became the president of the Cleveland Chapter and took on roles at the
affiliate level. When the first vice president of the affiliate left to take
a job in California, Suzanne stepped into that position. She was elected to
the position of first vice president in 2020.

Suzanne believes that her honesty, consistency, transparency, and
professional brand are the attributes that have made her a successful
leader. Telling her story shows her honesty and demonstrates her shared
experiences with others. It's her personal brand that she tries to convey to
community partners, members, and potential members.

Suzanne believes that the key to resolving resistance to leadership is
negotiation. She has an open-door policy in her chapter that encourages
members to talk to her directly. She works to understand the perspective of
the person. She examines herself to make sure she is not the source of the
conflict. If she is not the problem, she will work with the member to try to
move forward.

Suzanne does not feel any burnout yet, "though I probably should." She is
just happy to be involved doing the work of the Federation. She explained
that she reaches out to people by phone and is constantly on her computer
emailing and checking Facebook. Her goal is to build trust with people so
she can influence and delegate. Suzanne loves problem-solving and seeing
people flourish.

Richard Payne,  President

937/829/3368

 <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com> Rchpay7 at gmail.com