[Ohio-Talk] Thanks and let's keep moving.

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 01:38:48 UTC 2021

Dear members,

I would like to tell you that I have rested but that is not the truth and I
have been running to keep up with our convention follow up and other very
important task. We done what I was Shure could happen which was to have a
great convention even if it was on the zoom platform.
I want to thank Vice president Turner for doing a fine job with the details
and overall arrangements. Many members took some part in our convention and
if I started to name all of you, I would never finish you know who you are,
and I look forward to working with you in the future.

Congratulations to Jordy for being elected to the board and I have great
confidence that he will work hard for us.

Cheryl Fields you will be mist as a member of the board of directors and
hopefully you will continue to be active, I also will be counting on hearing
you around.

Currently we are listed 8th in PAC and can do better so over the next few
months it will be important to dig harder to get the support for this great
program.

I have already received a few requests to attend the Washington seminar
which I will be working on over the next few weeks so if you have interest
in attending, please email me off list everyone who sends a request probably
will not be able to attend but get your request to me.

You should also be looking out for request for new committee appointments as
you should be aware of just because you served on a committee in 2021 or
chaired one it does not mean that you will serve in that capacity in 2022.

I know that some elections will be held and if your chapter or division
elected new members to the board pleas forward that information to me.

Critical Actions:
	NFB Training Centers-Understand Our Affiliated Training Programs and
What Makes Them Different:
	We will hold a meeting for all affiliate presidents on Thursday,
September 18, at 8:00 p.m., eastern for NFB affiliate presidents to better
understand the relationship between the NFB and its affiliated training
centers, what makes those centers unique, and how you can best inform the
work of those programs and help students get this training. There will also
be other timely announcements for affiliate presidents. The Zoom information
will be sent later this week.

	Who Is Your Affiliate Membership Chairperson?
	With many changes happening in affiliates this fall, it is time for
the membership committee to again ask affiliate presidents to update
information regarding the affiliate membership chairperson. Affiliate
membership chairs are expected to help promote membership throughout the
affiliate, help chapters with their membership efforts, and share
information about membership tools and resources. In most cases, affiliate
membership chairs will be appointed to the national membership committee.
Affiliate presidents should update the information about the membership
chairperson for their affiliate by sending an email to membership at nfb.org
<mailto:membership at nfb.org>  no later than November 21, 2021.

News:
	Access Technology Affordability Act:
	Unfortunately, the Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) is not
in the House version of the Build Back Better (BBB) Act. The House version
of the BBB is waiting for a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) score and is
likely to be passed by the House the week of November 15. The good news is
the Senate is extremely likely to change the BBB before passing it. This
means we have an opportunity to get the Access Technology Affordability Act
back in the bill. Another legislative alert will be going out early this
week, but in the meantime, please continue to contact Majority Leader
Schumer's office and ask him to restore the ATAA into the Build Back Better
Act before it gets passed in the Senate. Furthermore, if your individual
Senator or Representative has not cosponsored the Access Technology
Affordability Act, please ask them to do so.

	Teachers of Tomorrow:
	Applications to be a part of the 2022 Teachers of Tomorrow cohort
will be opening later this week. The goals of the Teachers of Tomorrow
program are to equip early career teachers of blind students with a positive
philosophy about blindness, to empower them to have high expectations for
their students, and to help them recognize the value in being connected with
the organized blind for themselves and the families they work with. Please
circulate this application to any university programs in your state, as well
as to school districts and any teachers of blind students you know.
https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/teachers-tomorrow

	Upcoming Early Childhood Initiatives: Santa Letters and Winter
Celebration Program:
	This year, the National Federation of the Blind is not only helping
Santa out with Braille letters to blind children, but we are also expanding
our program to have a winter-themed Braille letter for those who do not
celebrate the Christmas holiday. We are excited to provide both of these
letters in English and Spanish. Parents of children under the age of ten can
select one of the options that best fits their family.
	Starting November 8, parents can request the Braille activity packet
online, via fax, or email. The celebration packets will start going out to
blind children around the country on December 6. The Braille letter will
also be accompanied by a print copy for the whole family to participate in
the fun activities that accompany the celebration letters. The deadline for
letter requests is December 17 to ensure that a return letter in Braille is
received before the winter season ends. Learn more about the Santa Letters
and Winter Celebration Program.

	Response to AbilityOne Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Regarding
Subminimum Wages:
	On Friday, we submitted our response
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/response-abili
tyone-commission-nprm-regarding>  to the most recent AbilityOne NPRM
<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/10/12/2021-22118/prohibition
-on-the-payment-of-subminimum-wages-under-14c-certificates-as-a-qualificatio
n-for> . The NPRM, published in the Federal Register on October 12, would
require that any nonprofit entity seeking an AbilityOne contract would need
to certify that it has no employees with disabilities being paid subminimum
wages. As you will read in our comments, we strongly support this proposed
rule.

	Upcoming Event: Creating and Using Tactile Graphics:
	On Tuesday, November 16, from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m., eastern, the
National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual
Accessibility is hosting an accessibility boutique on tactile graphic
creation. Register now!
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/traini
ngs/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>

	Center for Credentialing & Education (CCE) and National Board for
Certified Counselors (NBCC) Exams:
	The NFB is gathering information regarding access barriers with
Center for Credentialing & Education (CCE) and National Board for Certified
Counselors (NBCC) exams. If you have encountered barriers or delays with
requesting accommodations and completing an accessible CCE or NBCC exam, or
if you plan to take a CCE or NBCC exam in the future, please contact Valerie
Yingling, NFB legal program coordinator, at vyingling at nfb.org
<mailto:vyingling at nfb.org> . Examples of CCE and NBCC tests include the
National Counselor Examination (NCE), National Clinical Mental Health
Counseling Examination (NCMHCE), and state counselor licensure exams, among
other tests.

Dates to Keep in Mind:
	(all times eastern)
*	November 18: NFB Training Centers Meeting, 8:00 p.m.
*	December 1: NFB Scholarship Program <https://nfb.org/scholarships>
applications open
*	December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	July 5-10, 2022: National Convention, New Orleans
Richard Payne,  President
937/829/3368
Rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:Rchpay7 at gmail.com>
blindness is not what holds you back.