[Ohio-Talk] Greater Akron in the Braille Monitor

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 20:18:59 UTC 2021

I’m very proud of our chapter here in Akron. In case you missed it, Andra
Stover just returned to Ohio after nine months at the Louisiana Center. And
today we are featured in the October Braille Monitor for the event we held
in August. Without exception, every member of this chapter, from those who
were founding members in 2018, to those we just voted in this summer, each
contributed to this project and its success. Here is the text from the
Monitor, plus captions to each picture, and a link to the story on NFB.org

The Beauty of Local Programming

Having local programming at the chapter level is fundamental to what we do
in the National Federation of the Blind. When the Greater Akron Chapter of
the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio thought about ways they could
help blind students, they decided to give backpacks to the young people,
the contents of which would be determined by the student. The event was a
wonderful way to begin bridging the gap that so many of us who grew up
without blind role models complain about. It also gave members of our Akron
Chapter a chance to meet with young people and their families and to hear
in their own words the things that excite and challenge them. It began
building a bridge between the organized blind and the teachers who work in
the Akron public schools. May every chapter find a way to be so proactive
and to make the National Federation of the Blind something that every
student can experience, touch, take to their school room, and, at the end
of the day, bring home.

Because of the Akron Chapter's efforts and taking the time to share, we
have a great lead for the *Monitor.* Please do the same when your chapter
has an event; share it so we may all take strength and direction from you.

[PHOTO 1 CAPTION: Greater Akron president Dave Bertsch speaks to the
families about the NFB.]

[PHOTO 2 CAPTION: Greater Akron member Camryn Gattuso speaks to students
about the NFB Scholarship she won.]

[PHOTO 3 CAPTION: Greater Akron member Pat McPherson gives a backpack of
accessible school supplies to a student.]\

[PHOTO 4 CAPTION: Greater Akron members Jessica Stover and Krissy Coen
serve pizza and help students with accessible crafts and games.]

Here is the Link to the story and pics.

The Beauty of Local Programming and the Magic of Sharing Your News (nfb.org)
<https://nfb.org//images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2109/bm210901.htm>

Dave Bertsch, President, NFB of Ohio Greater Akron Chapter