[Ohio-Talk] Nation’s Blind Podcast: August 16, 2022 – Meet Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award Winner Caroline Karbowski

Todd Elzey toddelzey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:53:16 UTC 2022

Good morning fellow Federationists:

If you haven't listened to the Nation's Blind Podcast episode Suzanne sent
out yet, please do. This episode focuses on our very own Caroline Karbowski
of See3d. Caroline and See3d were selected by the NFB as a winner of our
prestigious Dr. Jacob Bolotin award this year. Caroline was presented with
the award at this year's 2022 National Convention.
<https://youtu.be/IH3JXIVsQ6A?t=328> In the Podcast episode Caroline talks
about winning the award and the fantastic work that See3d does providing
free 3d models to blind people in the United States and around the world.
Caroline and See3d has even been working with the Model Club at the Ohio
State School for the Blind teaching students how to design and print 3d
models.

I've had both the opportunity to see some of the models Caroline has
produced and work briefly with the team she has put together. In fact, I
wish I had had far more time to dedicate to volunteering with See3d.
Caroline is an amazing individual and the work she and See3d are doing is
helping open up opportunities for blind people to better understand parts
of our world that would largely be inaccessible due to size and safety.
After all, how can we ever touch and understand the structure of DNA
because of its small size. Or how can you touch and understand the shape of
fire or a dangerous animal without likely getting hurt. Or what about a
distant star that is simply too far away to get to. These are just some of
the things Caroline and See3d have made accessible via their 3d models.

So all of this is simply by way of saying I am writing today asking you and
your Chapters to support Caroline's work in any way you can. I personally
just sent See3d a $100 donation to help them continue their work, and I
will continue to contribute in any way that I can. I hope that the members
of the NFB of Ohio and our Chapters will also consider supporting this
important and innovative work by donating either money, time, or services
to See3d's efforts. To learn more about how you can help, please visit See3d's
website <http://www.see3d.org>.

And of course, don't forget to check out the podcast. The podcast is
currently available at:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/august-16-2022-meet-dr-jacob-bolotin-award-winner-caroline/id1097948226?i=1000576291933
and
will be available via other channels soon.

Todd Elzey