[Ohio-Talk] Braille Monitor Vol. 65, No. 11 December 2022

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 22:41:24 UTC 2022

Braille Monitor

Vol. 65, No. 11               December 2022

Gary Wunder, Editor

Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash drive, by the

The National Federation of the Blind

Mark Riccobono, President

telephone: 410-659-9314

email address:

nfb at nfb.org

website address:

http://www.nfb.org

NFBnet.org:

http://www.nfbnet.org

NFB-NEWSLINE® information: 866-504-7300

Like us on Facebook:

Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind

Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice

Watch and share our videos:

YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles for the

Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national office or may be emailed to

gwunder at nfb.org.

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation about forty dollars per year. Members are invited,

and nonmembers are requested, to cover the subscription cost. Donations should be

made payable to National Federation of the Blind and sent to:

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE EXPECTATIONS

OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT; BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS

YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND--IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829

Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a National

Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots--the familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and a second

slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad covering this

slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again. (Note: If the cartridge

slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive, the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is inserted, the player buttons

will function as usual for reading digital materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges, when you insert it again, reading

should resume at the point you stopped.

You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb drives can

be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with the drive when

you return the device.

https://nfb.org//images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2211/bm2211tc.htm <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2211/bm2211tc.htm>

Contents

Vol. 65, No. 11                      December 2022

Convention Bulletin 2023 (HTML)

A Tribute to Jacquilyn Billey (HTML)

by Carolyn Dodd

Announcing the NFB 2023 Scholarship Program (HTML)

by Cayte Mendez

Understanding the Orozco versus Garland Appeal and Why It Is Important (HTML)

by Valerie Yingling

We Who Have Multiple Disabilities Also Have a Place in the Movement: Reflection by and about Krystal Sanford (HTML)

by Norma Crosby and Krystal Sanford

What I Learned from Attending My First National Convention (HTML)

by Judy Rasmussen

Nielsen Gives the Federation More than Ratings (HTML)

by Jenivieve White

Kenko and The Christmas Wreaths (HTML)

by Paul Gabias

You Can Make a Difference (HTML)

Social Security Announces 8.7 Percent Cost-of-Living Adjustment for 2023 (HTML)

by Advocacy and Policy Department

A Way to Save when Receiving Public Assistance (HTML)

by Eric Ochmanek

The 2023 Blind Educator of the Year Award (HTML)

by Robin House

Congress Ordered Agencies to Use Tech that Works for People with Disabilities Twenty-four Years Ago�Many Still Haven't (HTML)

by Ruth Reader

Do You Really Know What It's Like? (HTML)

by Trevor Tattenberg

The 2023 Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award (HTML)

by Carla McQuillan

What Do We Do to Help Blind Diabetics? (HTML)

by Debbie Wunder

I am Waiting to Go Blind (HTML)

by Kevin McNally

The National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska Celebrates Blind Equality Achievement Month (HTML)

by Nancy Coffman

NFBCO Celebrates the Completion of its PHD Project (HTML)

by Peggy Chong

Promoting Current Event and Media Literacy with NFB-NEWSLINE: A Parent's Perspective (HTML)

by Heather Bird

Tech Tips (HTML)

by Curtis Chong

Constitution of the National Federation of the Blind (HTML)

Monitor Miniatures (HTML)

block quote

Complete Braille Monitor

Complete Braille Monitor (Zipped Word Version)

Complete Braille Monitor (Braille Version)

Vol. 1

Vol. 2

Complete Braille Monitor Audio File (Zipped MP3 Version) Coming Soon!

Complete DAISY Audio File (Zipped MP3 Version) Coming Soon!

block quote end

Copyright 2022 by the National Federation of the Blind